Question for newbie... Finding little metal chips

weakie

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,
I'm brand new to this prospecting / panning thing. Its really fun even though I have not found any gold yet. I do however keep finding silver bits that seem to act just like gold as far as weight goes. They are the heaviest in my pan and are always with the fines. I have heard some people say it could be platinum but I couldn't imagine it really was. I'm located in North Georgia about 30 miles south of Dalonegha. Does anyone here have a possible guess. I know that would have to be tested to know for sure but perhaps someone who has some experience could rule out a few items? Thanks!

20130517_101327.jpg 20130517_101334.jpg 20130517_101344.jpg

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Weakie and welcome to the forum and wonderful world of gold. I don't know if platinum is found in your part of the country or silver. It could be mercury covered gold. I would get ahold of Astrobouncer in this forum for this. He is very knowlegable about the geology of that part of the country. You have come to the right place to learn and get answers about mining.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

From the photos it looks like mercury covered gold to me, if you could post a closer zoomed in photo that might help.
I have found merc. cover gold in western NC and it looks like that.
Does it move towards the top of the pan when you tap the side if it to move it away from the black material?

Astro knows his stuff he will surely help you out with the ID of the material.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like mercury to me. To shiny, not dull and mottled looking. Here in Ca, I've had stuff looks like that in a pan, and here it is either platinum or iridium. Hope the next pan I loaded full of yellow. :-)

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
That looks a lot like platinum but hard to say . Looking at pics instead of first hand

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread