What's new

Question for the gem folks...

Montauk3

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
907
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Picked this up last week. I don't have any idea. It looks like a pearl but I don't think pearls get so big.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
 

Attachments

  • 14K-4.6g.webp
    14K-4.6g.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0
Thanks.

Ralph
 
Ok If you want to know if it's a real pearl pick it up and put it up to you front teeth. Gently move it back and forth side to side. You will feel a grit like sandy feeling if it's a real pearl. If it slides without this feeling it's cultured or glass/plastic. This is really the only true way to test for real pearls. If you have false teeth this may not work?
I know this because I brought in a very large pearl mounted in 22K and I ask the Jeweler to test the pearl. This was how he did it and told me it was the only way. The piece I brought in was very pricey
5 figures. Flea Market find .50 cents
 
Thanks for the reply.
I tried as you suggested but had nothing to compare to.
As my luck runs, I'll accept fake till proven otherwise.

Ralph
 
I think it's called a "mabe" pearl, part of a mother of pearl shell that has the properties of pearl. That's a big one. Niffler
 
what is the setting made of silver platinum,white gold,dont know?
 
snooksion2 said:
what is the setting made of silver platinum,white gold,dont know?
Yellow gold. 14K
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom