Question for the knowledgable!!

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi Folks

Now I have a question for you all. some of you may have read our post yesterday on our hunt in New Zealand, well we found a couple of unusual stones that were in the ground giving us a signal on our detectors. would a fire pit that had been used many many times give the stones a magnetic property? ??? secondly would this alter the weight of the stones? ??? The stones we found were broken pieces of larger stones and were light for there size and looks as tho they had been burnt. we only took a top sample as the detector screamed all around a metre or so area and we figured more of the same so didnt go any deeper. As i have absolutely no knowledge on this sort of thing i thought i would ask the gods on TN. Any info from anyone in the know would be most helpful

Cheers and happy hunting Sasnz

sasnz said:
Hi Folks

Now I have a question for you all. some of you may have read our post yesterday on our hunt in New Zealand, well we found a couple of unusual stones that were in the ground giving us a signal on our detectors. would a fire pit that had been used many many times give the stones a magnetic property? ??? secondly would this alter the weight of the stones? ??? The stones we found were broken pieces of larger stones and were light for there size and looks as tho they had been burnt. we only took a top sample as the detector screamed all around a metre or so area and we figured more of the same so didnt go any deeper. As i have absolutely no knowledge on this sort of thing i thought i would ask the gods on TN. Any info from anyone in the know would be most helpful

Cheers and happy hunting Sasnz
:hello:

we have them here, we call them hot rocks(magnetic rocks) they are a pain in the rear :'(

SS.

Due to the area we are searching silver i think that tese are from a firepit. are hot rocks burnt????? I have struck hot rocks before but as i say these have been burnt and now broken up. due to alot of heating and cooling i suspect.

sasnz said:
Due to the area we are searching silver i think that tese are from a firepit. are hot rocks burnt????? I have struck hot rocks before but as i say these have been burnt and now broken up. due to alot of heating and cooling i suspect.
No the hot rocks we have here are not burnt, they just look like an ordinary rock :icon_scratch:

What you probably have is melted alum beer or pop cans. People used to toss them in the fire. Or they could be slag cinders. The Hot rocks are really plain rocks with extra minerals that cause detectors to go off. About the only detectors that ignore them are Minelabs when run in disc mode.

Hi Sandman, Definately can rule out the aliminium slag , can or similar, this is possibly a pre european site. I am getting Trickikiwi to get some pics up as soon as he gets back from work.

Cheers Sasnz

Definitely not aluminium/aluminum. As they are attracted to a magnet they have to have some iron content.
Here they are
Hot rocks.1.JPG

Hot rocks.2.JPG

Mike

trikikiwi said:
Definitely not aluminium/aluminum. As they are attracted to a magnet they have to have some iron content.
Here they are

Mike
That's them Hot Rocks :thumbsup: pain in the rear, fortunatly I can reconize them straight away, and never dig them :laughing9:

Yep hot rocks. Iorn mineralization in them. If they were cooked as you say, it would increase the magnetic effect as they cooled.
May also contain some nickle minerals as well. If there is a lot of this material, it might be worth having an assay done. One can never be such just what all metals are carried in such. It might save you some time and money if you can find an prospector in your area.

I agree, I have seen many that look exactly like those pictured.
Heat may even have intensified their conductive nature.

Even though there are 92 elements that are naturally found, only eight of them are common in the rocks that make up the Earth’s outer layer, the crust. Together, these 8 elements make up more than 98% of the crust.

The 8 most common elements in Earth’s crust (by mass):
46.6% Oxygen (O)
27.7% Silicon (Si)
8.1% Aluminum (Al)
5.0% Iron (Fe)
3.6% Calcium (Ca)
2.8% Sodium (Na)
2.6% Potassium (K)
2.1% Magnesium (Mg)

GG~

Thanks for all the reply guys. I think we can confirm the Hotrock scenario.

many thanks Sasnz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back