QUESTION; LADY ELGIN OWNER;

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
I searched for that wreck in 1963 no luck.

I understand that the company that found it had a long drawn out court case and I believe
that he won.

The original owners were the Hubbard Meat Packing Company of Chicago. There is even a
street in Chicago named Hubbard Street. The name "Lady Elgin" was used as there was a
connection with the Elgin Watch Company.

This is an interesting wreck and has allot of history which even includes President Lincoln
and the slave trade. Do some searching and you will find all kinds of stories even political
and religious. Many people lost their lives on this wreck and the maritime rules of the road
were adapted. The gym at the Northwestern University was dedicated to a man by the
name of Spencer who helped to save people in the water from drowning and became
paralyzed for assistance. He has a good story also.

The ship was on a fund raising trip when it sank after a collision with a sailing schooner.
The Lake County Museum has some artifacts from the wreck.

Keep us posted on any information regarding this wreck. I am still interested.

Dinkydick (born in Chicago)

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
D D,
thanks for the reply.
From what I understand it is in 55-60 feet of water, several miles off of Highwood Illinois; mainly debris scattered along bottom, pieces of sidewheel can be seen Was hit by lumber schooner Augusta.

But....
after all these years, "the debris scattered along the bottom", is still owned by someone???? Just don't understand. Are they the owners forever, what are their obligations as owners? I mean, after so long that items are still down there, when does it become fair game for anyone to pick up?

Again thanks for your reply,

S

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Yes you are right about the Augusta. I just couldn't think of it's name offhand.

My search area was off Wilmete and Winnetka in about 80 feet of water. But I did read
about it being located closer inshore.

From what I have read, the area that the wreck lies in has been documented in the court records.
The person (name escapes me) that found it was looking for 20 years. He somehow obtained the
salvage/ownership rights to the entire wreck. Something like what Mel Fisher has done here in
Florida. I didn't keep close tabs on the court fight as I have not been back to Chicago since 1972.
You might take a look at the old newspaper articles from the Milwaukee Journal. That paper would
always follow shipwreck stories unlike the Chicago papers.

I (at one time) had a copy of a legal brief which explained salvage rights in the Great Lakes. In it,
it stated that there were NO open salvage laws and that everything on the bottoms of the lakes
was owned by someone. FWIW state boundaries extend to the middle of the lakes they are connected to so anything on the bottom is also owned by the state.

I would think that you should contact the present salvage owner and see if you can work a deal.

I am not sure but I think that the wreck is marked by a buoy and is protected by the marine police.
I would check first before going out there.

HH

Dinkdick

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Yes your theory is sound but has one flaw.

When to obtain ownership to a shipwreck or anything else, you are liable for property damage and
personal injury to anything or anyone who comes in contact with your wreck. I know that there can be exceptions but it costs time and money to prove a point in court.

Thanks for your input. HH

Dinkydick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread