Question on hunting soccer fields

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I've done soccer fields over the years.
I do the side lines on the side where people sit and get some clad. On the field itself I have in the past found jewelry in the roots or just under the surface 1-3".

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth depends on how long ago the rings were lost.... if the soccer field has been there for a long time those rings could be pretty deep by now.... Anything that sounds like a ring... dig it :thumbsup:

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found it to be much easier to hunt when they are not playing. Those guys will run right over you without apologizing! The people on the sidelines won't even move their lawn chairs for you! Seriously, good luck to you, I hope you find a fortune!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grid search the orange areas first, as they hold the most booty based an years of hunting football and soccer fields. Most of your finds will be between 1"-4" deep. Good luck!

Attachments

• SoccField.jpg
    SoccField.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 136

shojo510

Jun 16, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Scorpion Stinger, White's XLT, Sovereign XS, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does any of you guys have tips on soccer fields? I have gained permission to hunt a couple close to home. Second question: Do you guys typically find the rings to be in the grass roots or deeper?

My advice is to eat your wheaties! I have been hunting an area with multiple fields for a few days now and I haven't even made it out onto one of the fields! I decided to shoot for the areas with the most people and where things are placed or stored. Sidelines, seating areas and goal nets. The area I'm working has so many targets. First I started digging all solid targets. Tone ID is a must but sounds like a full orchestra...the majority of targets being wadded foil, pull tabs and bottle caps, this called for a change in strategy. Now I'm spending hours just cherry picking the quarters and dimes. About halfway through a 100 x 30 sideline area, 9 bucks and counting. All the targets I'm digging are at 3 - 5" in depth just under the roots, guessing new grass had to have been laid down...as for rings maybe focusing on the goal nets and the fields themselves would be logical. Should be fewer targets making it possible to dig all targets without sacrificing the turf.

Just a noobs 2 Zincolns.

Good Luck and HH!

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hope it's a clean field, I tried detecting my field (I'm an elementary teacher), there's can slaw everywhere. I cant even swing my detector 6 inches with out aluminum showing up. Maybe you got a clean field. I would hunt by the goalie area. I used to play goalie when i was a kid and I found a big honker of a ring there by the post. I guess the guy must have taken it off and put it down with his wallet or keys and just forgot the ring. Let us know how U do?

igarod

Apr 17, 2010
Along the sidelines and where the fans sit outside the team boxes where the substitutes run on and off the field putting on or taking off gloves

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry has it right. I've been working one soccer field for the last year and a half. It has produced many of the 35 rings I found last year. Also, 1 gold ring and 1 nice gold pendant. All were in the Orange range diagrammed by Terry...

OP
OP
wvdirtdigger

wvdirtdigger

Mar 9, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed that way now. Ill let you know how it worked out

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ye good luck mate, just be ready for a lot of crap, some of these councils will turf over anything ,and I mean anything, if it means they don,t have to carry it back to the truck...

shojo510

Jun 16, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Scorpion Stinger, White's XLT, Sovereign XS, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Which area was it found in?

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just outta curiosity from a guy who prefers digging old coins and relics... what tone range do you AT Pro MDers get for silver & gold rings? Is it any different than coinage?

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Just outta curiosity from a guy who prefers digging old coins and relics... what tone range do you AT Pro MDers get for silver & gold rings? Is it any different than coinage?

The silver rings will usually ring up in the dime/quarter range on the AT Pro. But the gold I have found came in at the pull tab range. Needless to say I dig a ton of pull tabs waiting for one of them to be a ring!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The silver rings will usually ring up in the dime/quarter range on the AT Pro. But the gold I have found came in at the pull tab range. Needless to say I dig a ton of pull tabs waiting for one of them to be a ring!

When you say "the pulltab range" what range is that? I get pulltabs at all ranges. I get them at my nickel range (53) and at my dime range (80-83) and everywhere in between depending on orientation in the ground and integrity of the aluminum. Do rings show a consistent VDI (as opposed to pulltabs) like coins?

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
When you say "the pulltab range" what range is that? I get pulltabs at all ranges. I get them at my nickel range (53) and at my dime range (80-83) and everywhere in between depending on orientation in the ground and integrity of the aluminum. Do rings show a consistent VDI (as opposed to pulltabs) like coins?

Sorry... Yes in the nickel pull tab area around (45-53). And yes the gold will usually stay constant and not jump around like a pull tab does when checked from different sides. But it still gives that mid tone and not a high tone as the silver rings do.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry... Yes in the nickel pull tab area around (45-53). And yes the gold will usually stay constant and not jump around like a pull tab does when checked from different sides. But it still gives that mid tone and not a high tone as the silver rings do.

Thanks! My gold coin rang in a solid 59-60 and my wedding band a solid 53 so I didn't know what to expect. Looking forward to doing some ring hunting, as my usual spot is getting overgrown.

OP
OP
wvdirtdigger

wvdirtdigger

Mar 9, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My whites picks up gold rings in the foil - pull tab range. The small ring I found Sunday rang a solid 13 vid. I have went over large gold rings that ring in the bottle cap range. However most seems to ring in the foil-pull tab range. (10-30) Vdi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread