Question on my find??

geomorph

Dec 30, 2006
Orem, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a Whites DFX and was out this morning with it. I was working a field near my home and came across a lead plate that is printed in reverse. I assume it is a printing plate, but I would be interested in any info anyone might have about this object. It says "DRUGS" in large print, and then has several little sayings written on the bottles, including: "Elixir of Youth", "K.C. Spirit", "For That Tired Feeling", and "For That Farm Grown Taste". I would appreciate any help you can give. One image shows the plate as viewed, and the other shows it flipped as it would appear when printed.
Thanks and Happy Hunting!
Tyler

Attachments

• Treasure1.JPG
    Treasure1.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 663
  • Treasure2.JPG
    Treasure2.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 670
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not real sure, but its cool!

hh
-GC

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a printing plate for the labels on the bottles~

cool find!

HH

Wheezy

Dec 21, 2006
Jacksonville Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Prizm V
Flipped your pic 180. Pretty cool. Probably some snake oil salesman from way back when. Probably made his own lables with it. Cool find!

Attachments

• FlippedStamp.jpg
    FlippedStamp.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 555

ashdigger

May 29, 2005
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Great find :)

Why don't you try printing with it see how it comes out you can clean the ink off might be pretty cool..

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
It looks like the 444 is recessed below the printing surface, so that its meant to be an ID number that is why it is not reversed.

S

Scots Gaelic

I have worked in an old printing press - that is an old printing plate. research on e-bay for value. excllnt find!!!

T

TreasureTales

Nice find and welcome to TNet. How large is this thing? If we know how large it is, we'll know the size of the labels it would print. Then we'll know the size of the bottle the labels would fit on. (Assuming it was a printer's plate for bottle labels.)

OP
OP
geomorph

geomorph

Dec 30, 2006
Orem, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks for the comments folks. The plate is roughly 2" x 1.5" and is solid lead. Younglad is right about the 444 being recessed below the printing surface. It wouldn't print on the paper. A also thought it was an ID label of some sort. It reads correctly when looking directly at the plate. I'll check eBay to see if I can get more info on value.
Cheers, HH, and Happy New Year!
Tyler

T

TreasureTales

Hmmm, that's small. And the fact that it reads correctly as-is kinda got me scratching my head. Wouldn't a printing block be made in reverse?

OP
OP
geomorph

geomorph

Dec 30, 2006
Orem, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Let me clarify....
The plate reads backwards when looked at directly, as a printing plate would do. However, the 444 reads correctly. Sorry about the confusing description I gave. I'm sure it is a printing plate, but I can't figure out what it would be used for.... it has no real maker of business that it promotes. I can't see why anyone would bother with printing a label with no product information. Perhaps it was part of a larger set that did include a manufacturer or some other specific info.
Cheers,
Tyler

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions