What's new

Question?

999digger

Full Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
I have been coin roll hunting since February this year and have only really searched pennies. I would like to look for silver. What would be the easiest way on a low budget. Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sory if I didn't introduce my self. I am pretty new to the forum and just started posting a few weeks ago. My name is Brandon and I am only 15 years old. I am from central Wisconsin. I also am into metal detecting. Thank you for all of your help. :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to T-Net.



Customer rolled Halfs would probably be your best bet for silver. :thumbsup:
 
Are you near Oshkosh, Omro, Berlin etc.? There is a bank chain called Anchor Bank. The last I heard they will get halves for you and they also have coin counters for returning them. Go PACKERS!!
 
I am in Central WI. I have never heard of anchor bank before. Go Packers!!!
 
Randomly asking for halves at banks would be your best bet, hit a few, dump, then start over, good luck!
 
Welcome to TNet. I too am from (originally west central wisconsin). If you have any Northwestern Banks arround, they will carry halfs. I don't know how close you are to Eau Claire, but that is were the bank is from. They have really friendly tellers in the smaller towns.
 
Easiest way is to have access to a free coin counter at a bank. Even on a low budget, it makes dumping so much easier.
 
Go ask for $500 from your parents for a box. Tell them that there's no loss in doing this. They'll get their money back.
 
Brandon,
When you go to a bank, ask for any halve dollars. Buy all you can with your budget. Also, ask for any "customer handrolled" dimes, too. Avoid quarters as they are hard to come by in terms of silver. Nickels are fun and you can find a bit of silver with the "War Nickels." Also, you might come across a buffalo or V-nickel, too. Those are always nice to find.

I know that $$$ can be an issue, especially at your age, but if you start collecting now, you will build your pile up quickly. Ask for the "Red Book" for a present. It is a great way to start reading about the values of coins. You will catch on quickly, I promise. And never ever return the same coins you buy to the same bank--go to a different branch of your bank (or family's bank) to return the coins you don't want to keep--which will be most of them.

I wish I had started at your age. It is really great to see high school students interested in this hobby!

HSH (Happy Silver Hunting)

apush :read2:
 
999digger,
Welcome to the forum. The advice given by others is accurate. Start by having your
mom or dad take you to a bank in your area and ask for half dollars. Hopefully they
will have some customer wrapped rolls for you. Take them home and go through them
then take them to another branch of your bank and dump off the ones that are not
silver. Hope you find some. Best of luck and keep us posted on your finds.
rileyboy
 
Keep searching those cents. Sell the Wheats and the 95% and buy Silver Eagles, or junk Mercury (Lady Liberty with the cap of Wisdom) silver dimes. Look at the Provident Metals website as an example. No minimum purchase so you can purchase with a low budget and score some AG.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom