Upvote 0

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohioaxeman, The only time I hunted in eastern Pa. was on an Amish farm. I met a fella from another website out there when I went to visit my Mom and brother a few years ago. For what it's worth, he just walked out in the field when we got there. I asked him about getting permission and he said that there wasn't any reason to. The Amish believe the earth is everyone's and they are only stewards. Personaly I think it's bad manners to treps upon whats not yours without asking the owner if it's ok. If thats truely the way the Amish believe, it should be pretty easy and non confronting getting that permission. Good luck, hope ya get it. !! Lone Star

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
He will stare and walk away if he's busy.

I used to live in an area with a thriving Amish population and on my mom's side the family tree went that way. It's usually not too difficult to get permission, but you have to ask them at the right time and in the right way.

When I was younger I'd just ask one of the kids, if they gave you permission to hunt any of the farms it was good enough (kind of along the same lines as what Lone Star said.) Later on when I was in college I'd work some summer jobs in construction and would ask guys and always got a positive answer. Now, if I go back to visit my family in Indiana in the summer/fall, I usually stop and ask at a vegetable or pie stand (occasionally they'll have one set up at the end of their driveway.) Or occasionally, I'll go up to the house if it's midweek. If the guy doesn't come out to greet you, just leave.

The key is to not ask them when they are busy, during a social function, or on a weekend (although you can hunt then.) Socializing is basically any time a bunch of them are together (restaurants, hardware store, auctions, etc.) Don't pull into their driveway with the radio blaring, don't wear your vintage Alice Cooper t-shirt, etc.

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Most of the Amish people I know here in Western KY are very nice people. All you need do is approach them neighborly and introduce yourself, state your purpose and assure them you will treat their property with care as they would. Joshuaream is right. Avoid there social times and never on Sundays as that is sacrid day to them. You should not have any problems getting permission to hunt relics on their property.

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
i've seen some beautuful pieces that the local amish have found,you never know you might get another hunting buddy

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Axeman!! here on the rim and western plateau the Amish i have met are about like everyone said. but if you start talking to a Mennonite a branch off the Amish, it can be a very different ,allthow they dress and look the same. i have heard that the they pick them up to sale. they usually have lot of children. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions