Question

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
So if i had a theory on the uses of bannerstones and related artifacts, and i wanted to present it to the public, but didnt want to just (throw) it out there before all the research and proof was done, WHO/WHERE would I go to? This problematical artifact has had my interest for many years, and the ATLATL theory just doesnt sit well with me! Yes, some bannerstones may have been used for the atlatl, but some are just too questionable! My point is that i just dont want to release my idea, and then never get credit for it! I'm not a member of any archy societys, and that may be a starting point. I live a few miles south of the shore of Lake Erie in north central ohio. I need a really honest person(s) to venture forth in this theory that may SHOCK the Archy world! Thanks to all who may help.... Brian

P.S I'm serious about the SHOCK..... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Not easy... I think it would depend on how much research is left to do. If you have enough evidence that tells a story, I'd submit an article to one of the amateur archaeological societies (Ohio, Central States, etc.) A lot of people read those, and the idea will get out there. Few archaeologists are going to run with a stolen idea, especially if it has been published in a widely distributed and dated journal. They might run with it and advance the idea, but you'll get a foot note worth of credit somewhere.

If you don't have a lot of evidence, and it's just a concept, it's going to be hard to publish.

I have a Clovis site in Venezuela (not just a fluted point site, but what I felt was Clovis) and I knew I wouldn't get very far with a write up in a local society. I reached out to a researcher who was finding similar stuff in Central America, and that made the difference. The materials ended up getting studied by the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute and we wrote up a short paper for Current Research in the Pleistocene. I had no expectation of fame & fortune from a page an a half about some broken rocks, but I have seen my last name in the bibliography section of other papers, which is cool.

Either way, I'd go to some shows, meet some local people and talk about your idea. I've learned more about my ideas by bouncing them off other collectors and professionals.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
I have also always thought they were part of ancient batteries for canoe trolling motors! Did YOU steal MY idea? Lol

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
So lay it on us man. I too am not convinced of the true purpose of some bannerstones. Has there ever been a well preserved cave find with a bannerstone still attached to the atlatl?

I personally find the mystery pieces to be most interesting, bannerstones, loafstones, bar weights, cones, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread