What's new

Question....

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I was finding so many BU copper cents that i decided to start a blue folder of them. However, i have no idea to tell copper 82's from zinc 82's. Is there any way to tell the difference?

HH
-GC
 
Upvote 0
There are two ways I know of:

1) You could use a scale and weigh them.

2) You could drop them a couple of inches above a table and listen for the sound they make. One makes a ringing sound, the other does not. I was able to drop a bunch of pre and post 82 cents to train my ear first. Don't do it while anyone else around though ... it's pretty annoying. ;)

Brian
 
A good makeshift scale is a wooden ruler with a pencil underneath it at the 6-inch mark (like a seesaw). Put a known zinc penny (1983-present) at the down end. Any copper penny placed at the other end will cause the scale to tip. A zinc penny will not move it at all.
 
goldencoin said:
Hello everyone,

I was finding so many BU copper cents that i decided to start a blue folder of them. However, i have no idea to tell copper 82's from zinc 82's. Is there any way to tell the difference?

HH
-GC

Howdy,

According to your signature you use a Whites DFX like me. Just take the cent and wave it in front of your coil. The copper ones will read higher on the display. If I remember right the zincs read in the high 50's to 60's and the copper cents read at least ten points higher.

Good Luck,

Scott (Mich)
 
i also will say the detector is the easiest way
 
Scott (Mich) said:
goldencoin said:
Hello everyone,

I was finding so many BU copper cents that i decided to start a blue folder of them. However, i have no idea to tell copper 82's from zinc 82's. Is there any way to tell the difference?

HH
-GC

Howdy,

According to your signature you use a Whites DFX like me. Just take the cent and wave it in front of your coil. The copper ones will read higher on the display. If I remember right the zincs read in the high 50's to 60's and the copper cents read at least ten points higher.

Good Luck,

Scott (Mich)

Thats a fantastic idea! i'll get right on it!

HH
-GC
 
The easy way is just drop them on a hard surface, copper rings like a bell, zinc just thunks. Do it a dozen times and you’ll have the sound down. But watch out I messed up the corner of my coffee table this way lol. ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom