invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, this was found near where a 19th century farmhouse once stood until it was demolished in 2011. It measures about 1” long x 1” wide x 1/8” thick and I believe it is made of lead or pewter b/c it is heavy for its size and non-magnetic. The logo has the shape of the world with a “SCHICK” banner. The logo is also raised & reversed as if it were used in printing/stamping. I’ve searched Google images, the Schick (razor) website, advertising logos, TNet, etc. and not found it yet. Hopefully someone can answer some/all of the following questions:

1. Is this a logo/trademark? If not, what is it?
2. Is this for the Schick company that manufactures razors or another company called Schick? If the later, what did that company do?
3. What years was it used?

Attachments

• Backa.jpg
    Backa.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Front2a.jpg
    Front2a.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 41

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like an old Schlick logo/advertisement plate for a printing press to me. Here is a pic of a box with what looks to be your logo
3BE41514-670A-4CF8-9B81-298D3F5C712A.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As Bear mentioned this is an old printing plate. :thumbsup:
These were often made of a copper plate backed in lead.

Very cool find... date wise probably early 1900s.
Dave

Attachments

• Front2a-crop.jpg
    Front2a-crop.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old Schlick logo/advertisement plate for a printing press to me. Here is a pic of a box with what looks to be your logo
View attachment 1719853

Finder Bear, thanks for answering the first 2 questions. :icon_thumright: Knowing the company and what the artifact was used for are two pieces of information I'll include in the description that accompanies the plate when I donate it to the local historical society along w/ other artifacts in a display case.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1920's - 30's

1930s-usa-schick-magazine-advert-EXPNH7.jpg

I looked at a number of magazine ads. Looks like that logo was gone by the late 40's.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Bear mentioned this is an old printing plate. :thumbsup:
These were often made of a copper plate backed in lead.

Very cool find... date wise probably early 1900s.
Dave

Dave, thanks for coming through again. To narrow down the date more, I'll check to see if Schick used this logo w/ wet razors before 1928 or afterwards when he switched to doing electric razors. Then I'll research deeds to see who owned the property then and determine if they were in the printing business. Associating an owner w/ an artifact is rare, but when I can, it makes it more interesting to museum visitors.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, thanks for coming through again. To narrow down the date more, I'll check to see if Schick used this logo w/ wet razors before 1928 or afterwards when he switched to doing electric razors. Then I'll research deeds to see who owned the property then and determine if they were in the printing business. Associating an owner w/ an artifact is rare, but when I can, it makes it more interesting to museum visitors.

No problem buddy, sorry I couldn't contribute more... thankfully Finder Bear did all the heavy lifting for us. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread