What's new

Questions about pottery piece

bout2break

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
41
Reaction score
33
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas what this pottery might have been used for. I think it may be a whole piece -but not exactly sure. Y'all are usually spot on with advice and/or identifying pieces so... Hope the pictures are detailed enough. Also it fits in palm of your hand And if it helps it was found in Northwest Georgia. Thanks in advance for your time.
 

Attachments

  • image-3317886543.webp
    image-3317886543.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image-903027256.webp
    image-903027256.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3220909019.webp
    image-3220909019.webp
    44 KB · Views: 106
  • image-843669600.webp
    image-843669600.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1629678127.webp
    image-1629678127.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2773195228.webp
    image-2773195228.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image-2544954921.webp
    image-2544954921.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Upvote 0
how do you hold it?
 
I'm not sure it's purpose so I don't know "proper" way to hold it / I was using the "fit in palm of hand" reference as a guide to how big it was
 
It looks like modern material to me.
Like leftovers from a roofing tile mold or something
 
I could be wrong but it doesn't look native american to me. If I were to find it I would keep it but I would be guessing it was maybe part of a decorative piece, flower pot, or yard art and somehow the edges had gotten smoothed over by elements or something. It would definitely go into what I call my "don't know for sure what it is but will eventually" bucket lol
 
Might be a piece of "kiln furniture", which would be a piece of spare clay positioned between two jugs, crocks, or whatever other types of wares the potter was firing in his kiln. It would be used to keep them separated during the firing, acting as a spacer of sorts. Yours may have sat on top of a jug or bottle with a round mouth opening, which could have left that raised circular spot on your piece, and then allowed something else to be stacked on top of the jug in the kiln? Other than that guess, I have no idea what it could be.
 
Seeing our area was a Civil War area I do find plenty of old crockery types of pottery in the creeks. Doesn't look NA to me but it could still be old. Nice find and always ask to be sure. Find any flint lately?
 
Thanks for the insight on pottery piece. Makes sense. The neighbor plowed up his field again which is across creek from us. I finally had to quit pickin up worked on pieces of flint cause pockets were full. Found the items below in bout 35 min. :)
 

Attachments

  • image-3365993545.webp
    image-3365993545.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 107
got a couple of nice ones in that group. The disc kills them :( happens to me as well. The bottom one is actually a broken biface or large scraper. Thanks for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom