Questions for ghost town hunters

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i use the 800. I was wondering why buried rusty items ring so high. Like 27-37. I dig them and a can pops up. I rescan it and its mid teens most often.

Then I'll hit a solid 29/30 and the target disapears. That gets annoying.

Just looking for answers from other nox users with similar issues. Thanks and happy hunting.

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i use the 800. I was wondering why buried rusty items ring so high. Like 27-37. I dig them and a can pops up. I rescan it and its mid teens most often.

Just looking for answers from other nox users with similar issues. Thanks and happy hunting.
I like hunting ghost towns but as most who hunt those types of places know there is buried iron and cans everywhere. Am i not setting my machine up right for theae types of grounds?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the iron halo. All detectors suffer from it. Its just a fact of life, large iron will usually give a good signal until its out of the ground.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost towns are tough to hunt, because of all the iron trash. One of the ones I hunt was occupied from the mid 1880's through the mid-1950's. The railroad demolished the buildings around 1956. Back then, there was no trash service LOL. Folks just dumped stuff wherever. There are literally piles of rusted cans everywhere. I take a rake with me now, and move the piles in hopes of finding something good hiding underneath them. Most detectorists will steer clear of those areas. Remember nothing is 100% hunted out though, so when you go to the ghost towns bring an extra amount of patience with you...your'e gonna need it!

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you're getting a wide number range on the target like that, 5+ numbers, it's usually junk. Somehing mishapen and made of iron or aluminum. The only thing that hits a 37 is a silver dollar and that number will stay put.

When your signal disappears after cutting a plug, you either put the target on edge or moved some iron on top of it. Either cut a bigger hole or take out a few scoops or dirt carefully and recheck. Or do as I do and go right in with the pinpointer. That will usually sniff out a masked target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread