OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up the Keene Pressure Relief Valve, anyone know what pressures the colored springs correspond to? Came with Yellow, blue, red, and brown. Blue came installed in the valve so assuming that is the most common used spring.

Pretty much got all the connections to hook up the corny keg and hope to try it out this weekend.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure and use a regulator that is setup for low pressure hookah diving, a regular scuba regulator is setup for high pressure from a compressed air cylinder, it's possible to breath through one on a hookah but its not ideal, like trying to breath through a straw.

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No instructions, just a baggy will try with Keene if it doesn’t work as is. A full mask, reg and check valve came with the set-up so I’m assuming it is a hookah rig, but we’ll see. Got parts to make up intake snorkel tonight.

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For future reference, the Keene Adjustable Pressure Relief Valve spring colors are : Yellow: 25-50psi, Red: 50-100psi, Drak Gray: 100-150psi, Blue: 150-200psi.

Ended up just buying the Keene Air Reserve tank because I had trouble finding parts to convert the corny keg locally. Snorkel is done and hope to try it out this weekend. Thanks for the help.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
emphasize strongly enough that caution must be excersized. Never dive alone, never dive in an enclosed area, or in an area where good ventilation is not eminent such as; under piers, narrow grottos, under heavily overgrown brush or trees or in any area where a good breeze does not occur.
Always make an effort to position your air unit to allow the prevailing breeze to carry any exhaust emissions
away from the air intake of the compressor.
Remember, Carbon Monoxide is the product of incomplete burning of gasoline and oil, so it most important
to keep your unit properly running and clean. Never allow gasoline to overfill or spill anywhere near engine
and compressor.
THE SAFETY AIR SNORKEL DOES NOT ELIMINATE CARBON MONOXIDE GAS, IT ONLY AIDS
IN THE REDUCTION OF FUMES. ALL THE SAFETY CAUTIONS MUST BE OBSERVED.

You also may find this informative and interesting...

Introduction to Hookah Diving from Keene... - https://www.keeneeng.com/pdfFiles/Hookah Instructions.pdf

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safety reminders are always good! I have a portable CO level detector I will be using to check the engine, really handy gadget for checking engines, wood burning stoves, etc. or can leave it on for an alarm.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On my corney keg I didn't have the right socket wrench to pull the pinlock fittings so I drilled a hole in the lid and installed a bulk head fitting and T'd off of that.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
On my keg I just cut off the fitting (I didn't have the right connector either) and T.I.G. welded my S.S. coupling for a quick disconnect ! I got tired of looking for those fittings that normally go on the corney keg and not long after I completed it I saw a Pepsi repairman and asked him. he had them for free BUT I no longer needed them. But it is a place to go ask for them!

standard8

Jul 17, 2015
Seattle Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of great info on this thread. I might actually come up with a useable hookah system thanks to the ideas shared here.
We have a T 80 compressor and nothing to go with it. So first it was a clean able stainless corny keg and ball lock fittings for it.
Found some Kuri-tec food grade 3130-4 hose and now have a low pressure hookah regulator. Still missing an air intake tube for the compressor and some fittings and who knows what else. Thanks for the tips and safety reminders.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
One thing to remember is that any other material to make any part of any breathing apparatus other than Stainless Steel or a plastic/fiberglass or other material like it WILL CORRODE over time and that will be getting into your lungs over time. I tried to stay with Stainless Steel parts when I could ! BESMART ,BE SAFE !

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, didn’t even test the hookah setup, there was not much breeze and CO levels were very high near the dredge and even worse up where the intake snorkel would have been. Will need to look over the engine and air filter and see if I can get it burning cleaner.

But got to fractured slate bedrock using just a snorkel and managed to find my first picker in a deep crack I broke apart. Area is known for flour and small flakes so wasn’t expecting anything coarse.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, didn’t even test the hookah setup, there was not much breeze and CO levels were very high near the dredge and even worse up where the intake snorkel would have been. Will need to look over the engine and air filter and see if I can get it burning cleaner.

But got to fractured slate bedrock using just a snorkel and managed to find my first picker in a deep crack I broke apart. Area is known for flour and small flakes so wasn’t expecting anything coarse.

I had to look on old bookmarks list to find this for you... this is IMO a good read.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/new...oxide-poisoning-hookah-compressors-and-diving

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My snorkel is a few feet away from the engine.

IMG_0075.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent article. N-Lionberger that snorkel set up looks much better than most I have seen, further away the better. After measuring the CO levels around I have very little confidence in the safety, will proceed cautiously, even with just a snorkel, you want to make sure you aren’t in the exhaust cloud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread