Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The problem with separating cents by alloy type (.950 copper vs .950 zinc) is the market. To sell at a profit means finding a willing buyer. When copper was around $4 per pound, the market was reasonably good. No one was getting rich, but some were making enough for it to be a worthwhile addition to other things they were doing. Many were, and still are, using comparators to separate cents by alloy. Much faster than checking dates.

Time for more coffee.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hoarding coppers for years. Saved about $1500+\- then decided to dump them last fall & this past spring. Was hoping for a poor mans PM market buy, but never happened.
Yes the '82 cents can be separated between copper & zinc if you have a .00 gram scale., coppers are 3.11 grams, zinc 2.5 grams. Easy to do, but not worth it anymore. I could not find a buyer.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do separate and save the coppers. I kind of horde them now with the hope that copper will go up in the future and the feds will allow melting. At the very least, it's a form of savings. I search them for errors and die varieties and then roll them up. Like Dozer D said, I use a gram scale for '82 and I weigh all the '83's as well just in case I find that million dollar rarity.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just find errors---THAT is where the profit is. got a CUD? up to $25, an O/C, up to $5, '84 DBL EAR-- yup, sold it for $115, the '99 WAM, YUP-- that sold for $100, greasers-- up to $5, clips go for $4, blank copper or zincs up to $4, die cracks can hit $4, split die cracks up to $25, die clashes, up to $5--- nuff said:happysmiley:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.) Yes, I did (past tense)
2.) No, I skipped them because it required a significant amount of work. Some chose to set them aside in case they ever want to take the time to separate.
3.) No, not in terms of value, today. Of course, you could make the case nothing about CRHing is "worth it" if you compared it to spending an equal amount of time at a part time job.

At the end of the day, it's a hobby that doesn't really lose money and you can actually come out ahead. If you enjoy separating coppers, do it. If not, don't.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I always look through my change for copper cents and save them. Been doing it for years, so got about 10 lbs of them.

Not much effort involved, and have no real plans for them - at this point.

I remember in 1965 my uncle Jack was saving the silver coins - a man ahead of his time.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save the copper, spend the zinc, and separate the '82's for when I really get bored!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread