What's new

Quick question on buying bags off machines.

never2late

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
San Antonio, Texas
Seems like a lot of folks here buy the bags off the machine. Just wondering, how would one go about doing so?
And does the machine keep a log that calculates how much is actually in the bag? I have just been seeing this a lot, thought about jumping on one or two, but i don't want to embarrass myself so I kept quiet.

HH jacob
 
Upvote 0
Never too Late,

You want to get bags, trust me! I have only scored a few as a lot of places don't like to mess with selling them off the machines. Just ask if you can buy the bag. It can't hurt, the worst thing that can happen is they say no. I have two banks here now that call me when the bag is full. My daughter and I just got a 1000 dollar bag of halves today. It was short about $11, but the silver made up for it! We are getting all the pics ready for a post later today, but trust me, you can score huge on bags!

The machines do keep track of how many halves go in there, but the problem is sometimes tokens, junk, quarters, dimes, etc go into the half bag and are counted as a half dollar. I've never had one that was hugely short and the silver has always made it more than worth 10 or 15 missing halves!

HSH
 
the only embarrassment you get would be no. get the bags if you can. Be advised that bags are often short. I've been burned twice on being short bags and I'm not talking like 10 bucks. The payoff can be greater, so it's a gamble. I'd take the gamble any day rather than play slots in Vegas...better odds.

~phroshizzle
 
I believe bags can be short!! In past 2 days, I have had to have employees come out and change the bags as my drops filled it up. In watching them open the machine up, I was amazed to see dozens of loose halves and all other sorts of coins that missed the drop chute and were all over on the bottom of the machine. I would never buy off bags in my arae as I know there are a lot of people CRH halves. I Talk to the tellers at every bank I go to and most all of them tell me there are several others who pick up 2 boxes of halves each week. Most likely the bags will be filled with other dumps, at least in my area, and after seeing how much coin does not hit the bags.....no thanks!!

Some say you make it up in the silver, but if your just making up the difference you were short, then what's the point?
 
never been able to buy bags off the machine myself, but ive always heard great things about bags myself! good luck, i would go for it if i were u! keep it up and hh!
 
Numismaniac said:
Quick total on my bag today. Posting separate thread. Got 71 40%ers, 1 1964, 1 1940 British Two Shillings (Silver) and a few other cool coins. Over $350 in silver! Try a bag and see if you get lucky too.

Here is the other post: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,373652.0.html


Holy crap thats a lot of silver!

So does each machine separate each denomination into it's own bag? That way you would only be buying halves and not a mix of cents dimes and nicks too?
 
N2L,

I've seen two basic machines. One will dump the coins into bags by denomination. Normally the bags hold about 2,000 coins or so. I know the half bags on these hold $1,000. You will only get the ocasional stray penny, nickle, whatever in these.

The other type puts the coins into plastic bins that the employees then empty into bags. I have a sweet arangement with the bank in town that has this type. Their bin hold $100 in halves, and the tellers are so nice to me that they let me pick thru the bins when I go in and I swap out the coins I want with some other halves that I bring in. It's a CRHers fantasy, no dumping, just good coins. I've gotten about 20-30 silvers out of this machine over the past year. Very nice...

My advice is to try to buy a bag and see what kind of luck you can get.

HSH
 
Bags are the way to go if you can get them. I have 3 banks that are on my "regular route" and I pick up bags every week. My almost complete totals for this year will be at the bottom of this post. The down side is that I don't get too many half dollar bags, but when I do they usually pay off. The counter at one of my branches isn't calibrated quite right and it is typically 40-50 dimes short. The good news is that those dimes wind up in the cent bags so I get them anyway since I buy dimes and cents every week.

Each of these branches use bags to accumulate the coin until it is full, so I can buy from them. My dump bank machine only has a large bin that combines all denominations into a single bin so I can't buy from them anyway.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom