Raising the Date!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ferric chloride.
Used to be able to get it at Radio Shack.
Its used to clean contacts on printed circuit boards.
Works on dateless Buffalo nickels too.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am assuming that the date is wore off the coin. Ferric Chloride is a mild etchant and would not be recommended on a good coin, however, as with dateless Buffalo nickels, there is no value to a collector on a coin without a readable date. This method should only be used for your own benefit.
You only need to put about 1 drop on the date of the coin. Let it sit for about 1 minute. Then rinse with water.
The Ferric Chloride will gently dissolve the less dense metal,(where the date is), than the more dense area field area around the date.
Ferric Chloride will eat through an aluminum pan very easily. It will also stain your fingers, so wear gloves.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jake,
It should work on copper, although I haven't tried it on a copper coin. Ferric Chloride is intended to etch the copper on printed circuit boards. It may work faster on a copper coin than on a nickel, so I wouldn't leave it on the coin too long.
Let me know how it works.
Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread