What's new

RAM Tie Clasp - help identifying

time4me

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2005
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
I've had this tie clasp for around 35 years. I pilfered it from my mom's jewelry box when I was a kid (yes, I had an eye for cool treasures even back then). I showed it to her tonight, and at first she thought it was my dad's from some fraternity at University of Michigan, but when I showed her the "RAM" and told her that I thought it could be a Royal Arch Mason insignia, she said that it was probably her father's.

Can anyone identify this tie clasp? It is not solid gold - only gold plated, but it belonged to either my dad or my grandfather.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3293.webp
    IMG_3293.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_3291.webp
    IMG_3291.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_3296.webp
    IMG_3296.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 330
I have looked at some tie bar chain clasp and there are a lot of companies
that made them. Swank was one co. Some older ones sell for up to $50. Are there any initials on it?
roger
 
Upvote 0
It's a tie clasp from the University of Rhode Island
The sports teams were called The Rams
Could be from a team member or an alumnus, probably pre 1970.
Note that it was made in Providence RI
Where did you find it?
 
Upvote 0
Or it could be affiliated with The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Ram is their official mascot and they have The Ram Club for alumni.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a fraternity "key" tie clasp to me, but I can't figure why it wasn't Greek? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Chain tie bars like yours were popular in the 20's & 30's.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Marcuccco said:
Where did you find it?

In his moms jewelry box as mentioned.
 
Upvote 0
Michaelangelo said:
Or it could be affiliated with The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Ram is their official mascot and they have The Ram Club for alumni.

I think Michaelangelo got it with Tarheel RAM :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom