What's new

Random pile of rocks

KentuckyBotryoidal

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
20
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was taking my rockhound for a walk..
IMG_1698.webp

We came upon these huge piles of rocks, some were limestone piles, others basalt or granite. Probably from the old landscaping company.

so naturally we got to digging and found some things. Nothing impressive so its okay if you laugh. I'm a newbie so anything excites me! I have a few questions =]

So first up is a red veined mineral. Any idea what the red is?
A.)IMG_9079-2.webp
IMG_3123-2.webp


Next is a pretty normal shell fossil. Although, theres this silver like substance. I tried washing it and scrubbing but no luck. So I guess its part of the fossil?
B.)
IMG_4351-2.webp
IMG_4686-2.webp

More shell fossils!
C.)
IMG_6558.webp

My sister likes to call this one "the waterfall rock"
D.)
IMG_4342-2.webp



And finally, another shell fossil, I think. I also think this one has maybe flint on the bottom as well?
IMG_5914.webp
IMG_9733.webp
 
You really have some cool specimens there and a precious "Rockhound". Wish I could really help. Maybe Eu Citizen can. Guy is a geological genius...
 
Your rock hound is adorable... and where's the rock pile? state/county? Yak
 
he found the rocks before I did!
Ah it was in eastern Ky, in the perry/knott region.
 
Hey Kentucky-
Try this link. It's a bit of a read, but may shed light on what you're finding. Good luck with it all- and an ear-scratch to your pup! Yakker p.s. I know it says Virginia, but we share a boarder and mountain range span

http://www.dmme.virginia.gov/commercedocs/PUB_132.pdf
 
Oh thanks for the link! I'll give it a look-see. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom