What's new

Raptor ID Please

Thanks, Mike!

I was in the morning sun and he was in the shaded cover of the trees. I also didn't raise the flash because I was thinking I wouldn't need it with the bright sun. IDK, maybe it would have turned out better if I had raised it. I've pretty much given up on editing. Every time I edit, I make it worse.

On the little control on the back of your camera, you have the OK button. Around it you have a ring with 4 choices. One of them is a "+/-" option. With these cameras, set it to at least -1 (3 clicks down: After clicking on the "+/-", press the bottom of the ring 3 times). Will make your exposure a bit better and colors more realistic.

These Nikon Coolpix cameras tend to overexpose shots. Easier to fix before taking the shot than after, but this is what I did with my new toys.

New software (affinity Photo, $50.00 and worth every penny) did this:

hawk.webp

Corrected the white balance by creating a negative of the original shot. On that layer, did a blur/average which gave me the color that was messing up your whitebalance (another quirk with these cameras) then applied a soft light blend mode to that layer. Added an HSL layer and clipped it to that layer so it only affected the correction layer. This is what came out. Colors look more realistic to me. Could have made them deeper, but they often come out plastic looking or over saturated.

BTW, like the bunny hiding in the tree. Great camouflage!
 
Last edited:
LOL! You got as far as I did in the ID.

Thanks for the story. And welcome to the My Daily Snapshot Forum!
Thank you! Since your friend is becoming famous I got off my tail and got on the internet,which is actually not that hard I know, and looked for similiar images. So...I think it does look like a goshawk as well as an osprey.
Or probably not. I have seen hawks like that for years in Missouri. At this point I think you may need to give it a name.
00320004401.webp

Osprey3.webp
 
OK. I'll be the odd one and say that this is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.

After looking closer at the edited pictures, I will change my answer to immature Red-tailed Hawk also.

Clues - short wing tips to tail tip, heavy white mottled back, and clear white chin.

Would be nice to have a picture of the under side of the bird.
 
OK. I'll be the odd one and say that this is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.

Ron, you rebel! LOL! Red-tailed Hawks are what I see the most of. They are always flying high or on a pole. One time, I was standing in the driveway talking to a guy and two of them flew just a few feet higher than my house. They were passing a mouse between them. That was pretty darn cool!


So, does a juvenile stay low and in the tree line? I read the description of the Cooper's Hawk and that's what it said they do.
 
On the little control on the back of your camera, you have the OK button. Around it you have a ring with 4 choices. One of them is a "+/-" option. With these cameras, set it to at least -1 (3 clicks down: After clicking on the "+/-", press the bottom of the ring 3 times). Will make your exposure a bit better and colors more realistic.

These Nikon Coolpix cameras tend to overexpose shots. Easier to fix before taking the shot than after, but this is what I did with my new toys.

New software (affinity Photo, $50.00 and worth every penny) did this:

View attachment 1622116

Corrected the white balance by creating a negative of the original shot. On that layer, did a blur/average which gave me the color that was messing up your whitebalance (another quirk with these cameras) then applied a soft light blend mode to that layer. Added an HSL layer and clipped it to that layer so it only affected the correction layer. This is what came out. Colors look more realistic to me. Could have made them deeper, but they often come out plastic looking or over saturated.

BTW, like the bunny hiding in the tree. Great camouflage!


Well, the sun was just as bright this morning as yesterday, but the hawk wouldn't pose. He flew off and I couldn't find him. So I walked over to BuckIdgr's and took some photos. I started with the same settings as yesterday. Then added the flash. Then changed to your settings, one w/o flash and one w/flash.


orignoflash.webp Original no flash

origflash.webp original with the flash

-1noflash.webp changed setting to -1 w/o flash

-1flash.webp the -1 setting with the flash.

Now I know it's not exactly the same conditions because the hawks was shaded. But still, I think it made a positive difference. Thank you, Chadeaux, for teaching me something about my camera!

-1DSCN6733.webp


As for the editing program, I'm still holding out for a new laptop before I do anything.
 
Thank you! Since your friend is becoming famous I got off my tail and got on the internet,which is actually not that hard I know, and looked for similiar images. So...I think it does look like a goshawk as well as an osprey.
Or probably not. I have seen hawks like that for years in Missouri. At this point I think you may need to give it a name.
View attachment 1622120

View attachment 1622121

Well, I tell ya, that's why I posted it here. I do not know feathered friends and there's a lot of guys & gals that know way more than me. They know what details to look for.
 
After looking closer at the edited pictures, I will change my answer to immature Red-tailed Hawk also.

Clues - short wing tips to tail tip, heavy white mottled back, and clear white chin.

Would be nice to have a picture of the under side of the bird.


I am going to keep trying to get better pics! And if it is a juvenile, maybe will be able to see it change in appearance.
 
At this point I think you may need to give it a name.

Oh, I'll give it a name alright. I have made it quite clear, I am not a fan of these hawks around here. Except for Hawks88, he's ok. :laughing9:
 
Ron, you rebel! LOL! Red-tailed Hawks are what I see the most of. They are always flying high or on a pole. One time, I was standing in the driveway talking to a guy and two of them flew just a few feet higher than my house. They were passing a mouse between them. That was pretty darn cool!


So, does a juvenile stay low and in the tree line? I read the description of the Cooper's Hawk and that's what it said they do.


Any hawk can be anywhere they can get a meal. One winter (3 months) I had a Red-tailed that perched five foot off the ground in a bush eyeing the bird feeder ten feet away.

Yes, Red-tailed Hawk are often seen along road ways where they are easily seen there. They like to hunt in more open spaces, but when hungry any place goes. I seen a Red-tailed go into a brush pile trying to get sparrows that where deep inside.

I have also seen Cooper's Hawks so high in the sky that were not much bigger than specks with binoculars.
 
Well, the sun was just as bright this morning as yesterday, but the hawk wouldn't pose. He flew off and I couldn't find him. So I walked over to BuckIdgr's and took some photos. I started with the same settings as yesterday. Then added the flash. Then changed to your settings, one w/o flash and one w/flash.

That is a starting point. Every image is different ... use the preview to see what will work best for the image you are shooting (when you can).


Now I know it's not exactly the same conditions because the hawks was shaded. But still, I think it made a positive difference. Thank you, Chadeaux, for teaching me something about my camera!

View attachment 1622133


As for the editing program, I'm still holding out for a new laptop before I do anything.

Same pic, using only the data already in your image ...

bird.webp

BTW, did you ever find the bunny hiding from that hawk? (hint: Slightly left of the hawk's head and slightly above. He's looking at the hawk )
 
Last edited:
Really I have seen a lot of red tail hawks and he looks about right. But am no expert.
I want to know this name you gave him.
And your profile pic gives me pause. I just had to say that lol
 
Ok I got a couple as I was headed out of the driveway. Maybe these will help.

DSCN6787_1.webp

DSCN6782_1.webp
 
That is a starting point. Every image is different ... use the preview to see what will work best for the image you are shooting (when you can).




Same pic, using only the data already in your image ...

View attachment 1622153

BTW, did you ever find the bunny hiding from that hawk? (hint: Slightly left of the hawk's head and slightly above. He's looking at the hawk )

That's not a for real bunny, is it? Are you sure it's not just a weirdism in the trees?
 
Any hawk can be anywhere they can get a meal. One winter (3 months) I had a Red-tailed that perched five foot off the ground in a bush eyeing the bird feeder ten feet away.

Yes, Red-tailed Hawk are often seen along road ways where they are easily seen there. They like to hunt in more open spaces, but when hungry any place goes. I seen a Red-tailed go into a brush pile trying to get sparrows that where deep inside.

I have also seen Cooper's Hawks so high in the sky that were not much bigger than specks with binoculars.

Boy, I wish I could have got a pic of him flying up the drive as I was driving. He was just inches off of the ground until he got to the mulberry tree. It was awesome!
 
Really I have seen a lot of red tail hawks and he looks about right. But am no expert.
I want to know this name you gave him.
And your profile pic gives me pause. I just had to say that lol

Ahh, yes. Kinda like sticker shock I suspect. You figured it out quick.

I don’t know about the name yet. It has been entertaining. We will see.
 
By the way, you are probably scaring the poop out of that poor bird. Don't they have laws about stalkers in Ohio? ;)
 
By the way, you are probably scaring the poop out of that poor bird. Don't they have laws about stalkers in Ohio? ;)

He's the one encroaching on my property. And trust me when I say, if I scared the poop out of him, I would post it. :sign10:
 
OK. I'll be the odd one and say that this is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.

Really I have seen a lot of red tail hawks and he looks about right. But am no expert.
I want to know this name you gave him.
And your profile pic gives me pause. I just had to say that lol

Definitely red tail.He's also got his eye right on you.:laughing7:

View attachment 1622181

Yes, Yes, Yes. See the belly band (streaks across chest).

So, Ron had it right all along. Now to figure out how to mark it "solved." And thank you everyone!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom