RARE KEY DATE 1860S SEATED QUARTER DUG!!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Tom, his friend Tony, and I went on a 2.5 day weekend detecting adventure and I dug this uber rare 1860 San Francisco mint Liberty Seated quarter on the trip - only 56,000 minted. It's the only coin I dug on the trip.

Here's the before and after shots of the coin:

Here's the rest of the finds from the trip.

First up was a civil war era encampment that the Union Army frequented that seems to pork out lots of buttons and lead, a few relics, and very few coins (which seems really odd?). Id' say that by now, between Tom and I alone, that we've dug well over 600+ conductors there, of which only two were coins. No belt or cartridge box plates, no bit bosses, only one company letter, no regiment numbers, seems odd, but I'm not complaining, I enjoy finding civil war era buttons and lead, and heck we don't even have to go back east B)- Even though research seems to indicate this was mainly a cavalry camp, this is the first button we've found that actually had a cavalry C in the shield. Also that little bit on the bottom right, is actually a two piece button, the front seems to have some kind of goldstone that they polished out a letter "S" and left the rest matte finished. It's a tiny button, if it hadn't had a button loop on the back, I'd likely thought it was a bit of junk - lol

Does anyone know what this is? It was a heck of a signal, some kind of cast bronze/brass decorative thing, we're thinking it could be part of an old gun (see above next to the buttons for a size estimate)???

It definitely has a pre-industrial revolution era hand cast look to it like items we find at late 1700's/early 1800's Spanish era sites.

The next site is one that I've known of it's existence for ten years, but it wasn't until I brought Tom out on a ghost town trip, that we discussed the site, and decided to get serious about locating it. It took lots of research time and a few trips to the area to finally find the X marks the spot location. Now that we have, it seems to be a virgin site, all but forgotten to time.

Thanks for looking,
Brian

Upvote 56
Congrats on the Super Rare Seated Quarter.
Did you use electrolysis?

Thanks.

No I never use electrolysis. You can always tell when electrolysis is used on silver or copper, it always seems to leave that pitted/micro-pitted finish.

Somebody else just posted this same year / mintmark Seated quarter , I voted Banner - that one didn't make it up there. That was a week or two ago , I'll vote Banner for yours too on the basis of objective rarity (mintage 56,000)

Thanks.

No I never use electrolysis. You can always tell when electrolysis is used on silver or copper, it always seems to leave that pitted/micro-pitted finish.

What did you use to clean it? It turned out awesome.

1 casper2Z.JPG

I wish, man I'd play the lottery if I dug two :icon_thumright: I couldn't figure out how to edit the original post to show the before/after shots and add my finds :icon_scratch:

What did you use to clean it? It turned out awesome.

Soaked it in Ezest. It took the better part of a week for the black to come off, but I'm pretty happy with the results :occasion14:

I was thinking I had the gold fish symptoms except I was saying "Nice quarter-Nice quarter" Kind of diminishes the post by posting up the as same header for the same find, then doing the hunt total finds. Just saying...

Anyways nice finds from the trip and getting a possible new site to hunt at.

Great finds. Looks like your research and patience paid off nicely. :icon_thumright:

Awesome find. Just once I would love to find a super key date coin like that. Congrats!

Wow, you must have been really fired up! That is one incredible coin find! (plus all of the other really nice finds shown) Congrats! :thumbsup:

Awesome find! Seated anything is on my bucket list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back