Read this

Capt.Betances

Mar 27, 2012
Franklin, NJ (for now)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX, Garrett GTI 2500, Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett ACE 400, Minelab X-Terra, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Eagle Eye, LRL, Audio generator app Tone, home-made dowsing L-rod,
A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this article on Google, and really suck!

The Maryland Submerged Archaeological Historical Property Act, passed in 1988, makes it illegal to dig historic objects from beneath state waters except under certain narrowly prescribed conditions. It protects anything below the mean high-water mark.

Surely, many of you know about this law, but other don't.

Reference

Treasure Hunting Maryland | Md. charges 3 in excavation of South River treasures - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take my chances

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This article is 23 years old. Is the law still as written? The people on both sides of this particular case were being ridiculous, IMO. Each were pitching fits over a few dollars worth of relics. 'Tis better an artifact is left to rot in the ground, than to have a Cretin recover it, 'twas her thought; the MD dealer and his buddies should have moved on when asked.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It opens up a can of worms. I'm in Maryland, don't go in the water, I just never have liked it. Are they going to harass us at public beaches now? Maryland has the best politicians money can buy!

Kray Gelder, the law still stands. What's different is it only used to apply to shipwreck, or so it was thought. Now, who knows? Can of worms with the publicity and all.

Makes all other water machines obsolete!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't apply to state beach parks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one of those....and everybody goes there.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It opens up a can of worms. I'm in Maryland, don't go in the water, I just never have liked it. Are they going to harass us at public beaches now? Maryland has the best politicians money can buy!

Kray Gelder, the law still stands. What's different is it only used to apply to shipwreck, or so it was thought. Now, who knows? Can of worms with the publicity and all.

Makes all other water machines obsolete!

The need to categorize a spot on the map "Historic" and therefore off limits to you and me is carried to the extreme. We have a bunch of self described intellectuals dreaming up these laws, who have never gotten their hands dirty, except maybe in an extra credit college Archeology summer course in college, where they spend a month excavating a square meter of dirt, surveyed, strung, mapped in 3-D on their laptops, cataloging every rusty nail, shard of broken glass. They've got their big tents set up, tables for "work stations", laptops galore, a dozen hung over from the night before young students, male and female, shepherded by a couple of hung over professors, all of which are trying to schmooze their way into each other's pants, sprawled in the sun with their barely there summer garb, working with dental picks and tiny brushes, excavating millimeter by millimeter.

When it's all over, they've got a hole in the ground, a few fairly useless artifacts that will be placed in a box, and stuck in a closet somewhere, never to be seen again. But now, this student who picked up 4 semester credits is an "expert", and winds up on the staff of a like minded politician who wonders about and is afraid of these peasants with machines that are hot, sweaty, dirty, digging holes in the ground with a shovel. No laptops, tents, strings, or notepads. They find something and stick in in their pouch, and dig another hole. This must be stopped! They don't know how to do it right! This "History" can't fall into the hands of the uneducated rabble!

I'm on your side, Smokey, but you have to pick the fights you can win.

I bought a house 14 years ago here in SC. A couple of years later, I started an addition to put on a new kitchen, and bedrooms. The town planner showed up and asked if I had filed a request with the local "Historical" board to do the building. I had a permit from the county. I said no, so he issued a cease and desist order, until I had obtained permission from the "Historical" board of the town. I picked up the six pages of instructions. They wanted surveyors, an architect, elevation drawings, showing landscaping, each tree and bush, the roof line of the addition must match the existing one, the interior must match the "character" of the existing structure, and continue the architecture used in the original home. It turns out that the woman we bought the home from, was on the board, and got this childhood home of hers, built in 1939, on the list of historical structures for the town, as an ego boost apparently, because George Washington did NOT sleep there.

After reading this application, I went to the planner's office, told him it was ridiculous, I had my permit, the historical board had no authority, they were a social club, and they could go to hell. He shrugged, smirked, and revoked the cease and desist order.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The need to categorize a spot on the map "Historic" and therefore off limits to you and me is carried to the extreme. We have a bunch of self described intellectuals dreaming up these laws, who have never gotten their hands dirty, except maybe in an extra credit college Archeology summer course in college, where they spend a month excavating a square meter of dirt, surveyed, strung, mapped in 3-D on their laptops, cataloging every rusty nail, shard of broken glass. They've got their big tents set up, tables for "work stations", laptops galore, a dozen hung over from the night before young students, male and female, shepherded by a couple of hung over professors, all of which are trying to schmooze their way into each other's pants, sprawled in the sun with their barely there summer garb, working with dental picks and tiny brushes, excavating millimeter by millimeter.

When it's all over, they've got a hole in the ground, a few fairly useless artifacts that will be placed in a box, and stuck in a closet somewhere, never to be seen again. But now, this student who picked up 4 semester credits is an "expert", and winds up on the staff of a like minded politician who wonders about and is afraid of these peasants with machines that are hot, sweaty, dirty, digging holes in the ground with a shovel. No laptops, tents, strings, or notepads. They find something and stick in in their pouch, and dig another hole. This must be stopped! They don't know how to do it right! This "History" can't fall into the hands of the uneducated rabble!

I'm on your side, Smokey, but you have to pick the fights you can win.

I bought a house 14 years ago here in SC. A couple of years later, I started an addition to put on a new kitchen, and bedrooms. The town planner showed up and asked if I had filed a request with the local "Historical" board to do the building. I had a permit from the county. I said no, so he issued a cease and desist order, until I had obtained permission from the "Historical" board of the town. I picked up the six pages of instructions. They wanted surveyors, an architect, elevation drawings, showing landscaping, each tree and bush, the roof line of the addition must match the existing one, the interior must match the "character" of the existing structure, and continue the architecture used in the original home. It turns out that the woman we bought the home from, was on the board, and got this childhood home of hers, built in 1939, on the list of historical structures for the town, as an ego boost apparently, because George Washington did NOT sleep there.

After reading this application, I went to the planner's office, told him it was ridiculous, I had my permit, the historical board had no authority, they were a social club, and they could go to hell. He shrugged, smirked, and revoked the cease and desist order.

I am sorry but I have to weigh in here at little.

While I lament ridiculous bureaucracy that is limiting our ability to enjoy our hobby, I do embrace anyone who is trying to learn a little bit more about history whether it be relic hunters who recover artifacts in plowed private farm fields where the primary archeological context is lost or archeologists that are truly trying to find out more about a known site of historic significance. The problem is we tend to make broad generalizations and lump folks into bins to suit our own biases based on not understanding what the other "group" is really trying to accomplish. Just as metal detectorists are not [all] crazed treasure hunters pillaging public and private lands to make a quick buck, most archeologists are not arrogant science nerds who are consumed with their gadgets and meaningless shards of glass, wood, and bone.

That is the heart of the problem. Lack of understanding on both sides.

And please, do not lump archeologists into the same category as social club historical societies. Glad you stuck it to them, Kray, they deserved it.

Point is, I have been involved with archeological folks who completely understand and embrace the skill and knowledge of history that metal detectorists bring to archeological discovery and when that works, where each party understands what the other brings to the equation, it is a great match. What doesn't work are folks on both sides who are unwilling to see the possibilities of a partnership between archeology and metal detecting and those who hide behind ridiculous bureaucracy simply designed to limit freedoms and further political power trips; arrogant, elitist social know-it-alls who want to impose their views on how things should be on others, and out-of-control detectorists who destroy public and private property by not filling their holes, trespassing on private lands, and who use camo and night vision to nighthawk on private property or even National Parks.

Sometimes detectorists are their own worst enemy and sometimes archeologists need to realize they don't have all the answers and can use a little help from a seasoned relic hunter who knows what he/she is doing. I have found archeologists who do appreciate detectorists (even employ them on staff) and I enjoy lending a hand to helping them figure out the puzzles and they don't lecture me when I tell them about my appropriately recovered, latest relic finds discovered on my own time and with permission.

Also, besides doing your part to keep bad detecting off the radar screen of those who want to shut the hobby down (fill your holes, don't trespass), support your local clubs or detecting organizations dedicated to educating local governments on the good things that metal detectorists bring to the table from discovery of new historic areas, to removing dangerous objects from public use lands. Government is only influenced by constituencies. Narrow minded archeologists do not have to have the upper hand. Get to know a local archeologist or historian and create some common ground and understanding. It may open doors for both of you. If you don't get involved in influencing the bureaucrats through these organizations or educating the scientists and historians, then all you have left is fewer places to detect and hearing yourself grumble about stupid laws and rules.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and mouthing off to the authorities never helps.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't apply to state beach parks.

I looked into this further and even at state beach parks, removal of historically significant artifacts is prohibited even from the sand beach areas where metal detecting is allowed.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I thought too. It applies to ANYTHING old found on state land, and a lot of county land too. That's why private permissions are so nice.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And its nice to have friends who have them. ;)

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a bs law that no one on both sides know I have had dnr county police walk up to me asking me if I found anything good then they tell me to have a good day.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rykroll I've run into a few people, officials, just looking for trouble and the dumbest grin on my face in answer to what I found I pull out a tin can and a few sinkers and go on about cleaning up the environment and wishing I could find something good. They wander off bored.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bs law that no one on both sides know I have had dnr county police walk up to me asking me if I found anything good then they tell me to have a good day.

What county is "dnr"?

Seriously though, are you saying, DNR (state) or local (county) LEO's or both/all not a problem? I could see local not caring much, but state, hmm.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt the Chesapeake Bay, In the water only.....I carry the DNR's number with me all of the time....The DNR is your friend. (Department of Natural Resources for the State Of Maryland)

I've had many encounters with beach front owners, and one call to the DNR has settled the issue. Even had a run in with Park rangers who should know the Maryland laws, but the DNR once called by the rangers, no longer can say a word. Other then ask, is that your jetski? Yes Sir it is and I am parked outside of the swim beach, that's the law correct? (Ranger) Yes...

Sandy Point, State Park Beach, totally off limits...markers out deep say no boats inside of the Buoy area, swim area. So one must walk in from land and hunt the hours allowed.

And yes this law is still written....Maryland Submerged Archaeological Historical Property Act..........But research and use common sense on a spot before you hunt it!

As far as the hunters that were nailed in 1995, little John was one and the main one. (A distant friend) He can be a challenge to anyone, at the time he though he was correct but the spot they were hunting was touchy! London town is totally off limits now, being Historical..Along with North Point where the Britts landed in 1812. I know of one other spot far south that is off limits, Civil War area.

I hunt the bay several times a week, Had many encounters with officers of the County, State, DNR and the Harbor Police, All Very professional.

If you have a question just drop me a message thru here or Face Book..Joe Beechnut

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I agree rykroll!

Most of the time the DNR is more interested in if your digging oysters. As hunters if we just move along all will be fine but Little John had to poke the bees nest, and this was 1995 when this happened. 23 years have passed, those involved have retired, new blood is in the ranks..Do your research and do not awaken this Law again..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread