Real fake cob

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
c1.jpg

c2.jpg

Fooled twice! I found the following in a box of old silver finds that I was going through and when I saw it, I wondered where in the world it came from. After a little while I remembered exactly where I found it and how painstakingly I cleaned it (it was heavily encrusted), only to discover that it was a fake. On the same beach, probalby only about 30 feet away, I did find a genuine 1600's cob which I have not yet cleaned.

IRS,

Can you post a pic or 2 of the uncleaned 1600s cob?
It would be appreciated by your fellow collectors and hunters....
Nice to see, uncleaned vs. cleaned

Thanks,
Trez

Trez said:
IRS,

Thanks,
Trez

I don't keep amything but the junk at home. When I'm ready to clean it I might get time to put it or some others on.

IndianRiverSonrise said:
Trez said:
IRS,

Thanks,
Trez

I don't keep amything but the junk at home. When I'm ready to clean it I might get time to put it or some others on.

I wasn't asking you to clean it......
just post a few pics in it's uncleaned origional "found condition"
That's all........
Sorry for my confusion, I'm very good at that.

Post it...and I bet you I can guess which beach and where within 100yds. of where you found it.

Trez

Trez said:
IRS,

Thanks,
Trez

Here is the one referred to... uncleaned. Not much to see. One side almost completely encrusted.

jcob1.jpg

jcob2.jpg

I also found a silver piece on the beach with one side heavily encrusted; the other side clean. What does that mean?

bigcypresshunter said:
I also found a silver piece on the beach with one side heavily encrusted; the other side clean. What does that mean?

The "clean" side actually has more gunk on it than shows up in the picture. It is more the color of the coin itself though instead of very obvious adhered sand liek appear on the other side. I think with a little careful work it would show significantly more detail. Can't say what it means, but one thing interesting to me is that you can see the edges are fairly clean and I think had gone through some natural ocean action cleansing before I picked it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back