Real or Fake? Wells Fargo Gold Panning Pan

Sep 7, 2012
Romoland California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Found this Pan at an Estate Sale. Not sure if its Real or Faked. Seems to be one solid piece of metal, not sure what kind but it is magnetic. Im pretty sure it is not hand shaped because the edges are curved under and really nice and neat. I have my own theory about it if it is real (such as the fact that since Wells Fargo came to California when the gold rush began, im thinking that Wells Fargo offered these pans to any new customers who opened a "bank account" so they would have a pan for panning gold so it was more of an incentive for people to go out and find gold and put it in the bank... but then again who knows, just my thought), but im just not sure because of how many things are "counterfeited". Hopefully Ya'll can help me confirm if its Real or not. =]

Attachments

• pan1.jpg
    pan1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 590
  • pan2.jpg
    pan2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 360

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not rare. I think they were made in the 1970s and 80s. I have seen them on ebay.

Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right. It is fake. Everything that Wells Fargo owned said Wells Fargo & Co. on it.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Filthy fake and as for your theory........The gold pans of the gold rush were made in 5 pieces.The style you have there is much,much later.Also....I assure the guys that were out here needed no incentive.....thats why they were here!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread