Is it a real gun?

• real

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I

Iowadogsniper

We found this in the wall of our house when we remodeled - before we worked on it, our house hadn't been remodeled on that side for many years. ?We have been told it is a replica of a real gun for the ones who couldn't afford the real ones? ?Not really sure what to think. ?We were told to post it here and see what you all think :)
Thanks for any help you can give! ? ???

Attachments

• gun 1_1_1.jpg
    gun 1_1_1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 642
  • gun 1_1_2.jpg
    gun 1_1_2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 588

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there ANY makers Marks, serial or Pat. #'s or anything at all on it ?

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anything move on this gun? trigger, hammer, cylinder... it looks like a fake to me. grip scales cast with the frame etc.. a childhood friend used to have an old cap gun that looked kinda like that. how old is the house?
searcher

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I would have to go with an old well made cap gun also,,, very cool find...
Like said in an earlier post, I would tryto look for " names. or #'s " on it, and do a serch...
Good luck...

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
I'de go with a cap gun too. Is it heavy? I found a cap gun last year with my RS at 8" at an old park. I saw the handle and my heart stopped but it was a cap gun.

gomerpyle

Jan 5, 2005
SE- Michigan
Looks like an old cap gun to me. However I have seen some single shot or derringer style real guns. and real guns that are made to look like fake ones.? It looks like the trigger and hammer might move a bit, but without seeing down the barrel and the other side hard to say. The barrel/chamber area looks awful "thick and heavy" especially when compared to the rest, for a cap gun to me. Most cap guns I have seen the barrels are proportion to the frame.

OP
OP
I

Iowadogsniper

Yes the hammer cocks, and the gun breaks open. The hammer has a protruding piece like it would be on a rim fire. A spent 22 shell fits in the chamber. And yes it is heavy.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
If it's a cap gun, there going for about $40.00 at a local antique store here in New York, good luck with a positive ID
kenb

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
If a spent cartridge fits in the chamber then maybe it is an old starter's pistol...a blank gun.
Just my guess.
Dave

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought it might be a starter gun too. but i started looking stuff up and found some of the old cap guns used banks the size of a
.22 short. if it was mine i might try and see if it would work. i would modify the blank and use very little powder though!!(while standing far back with a string in my hand that is attached to the trigger with the gun in a vise!) lol
searcher firemen do some fun stuff! (or foolhardy i don't know which)

O

ol ploock

I'm betting on a cap gun also :)
Wow! that is one heck of find.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
When you pull the hammer back is there a hole there or just a flat spot? Since the cylinder doesn't move or open, it seems like the only place to load it would be right in front of the hammer. Also, looks like the whole gun is cast iron, not sure if cast would hold up under the pressure of a real gun or not...

Dudes

majik

Oct 4, 2004
hey,

just my thoughts on this..if the barrel is clear and in line with the chamber, a .22 cal rimfire cartrige fits in it , the hammer has a firing pin witch will strike a rimfire cartrige hard enough to dent it = a gun able to shoot a .22

does the hammer fall hard enough to dent a shell? ? you could try it with a spent caseing
I'm not saying i think you should take it out for target pratice....be careful whatever you do have someone who knows guns check it out!!! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH Majik

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
It's a toy gun for kids back before some morons decided toy guns were dangerous. Here's a shot of the one I found last fall at a farm site. It dates to about the mid 1960's. Geez, how soon we forget. Doesn't look like the side opens to load caps but there's probably a small leaf-type spring inside to allow the hammer to rise and fall when the trigger is pulled. I'm pretty sure your model is older than mine based on it's styling. Possibly 1950's or earlier.

Attachments

• toygun.jpg
    toygun.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 308

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions