I don't know all the particulars about those buckles. In the pics, the corrosion and patina look like the real deal to me. Someone who deals in buying and selling relics would know more about what can be faked. At least it doesn't have a bullet embedded in it, so that's one thing. Hope it's the real deal!
Have to examine it to tell. The brass is a sure give away if you know what to look for. A photo can't show what needs to be seen but, for my eye in this photo the buckle looks a bit thin. What I mean is the oval shape is may not be true to the original. I can't remember what the measurements are for a real CSA but you can look them up. If it measure true then your half way there. Most repops are a bit off.
probably easily over a $1000 buckle if real - patina like that can be faked
though viewing the pic - to me it looks real - hope you got it at a good price
hope it turns out to be genuine
It's really hard to tell these days. It should be a match for the documented examples. People shy away from purchasing plates that cannot be matched to exact known original plates. You need to match it 100% to an original. Numerous books are available. There are numerous reference books out there. Also, the hooks have to match. Good luck.
I have read articles of people in China faking ancient brass artifacts and adding a very realistic patina.The patina is very similar to many fake ancient artifacts and coins I have seen posted on other forums. That does not mean your piece is fake though, just a thought to consider though.
My vote is that your piece is real. I have seen fake buckles with similar patinas, but the buckles themselves always look off. I found a similar buckle for sale on a reproduction website, but the buckle design looks off. I have also seen very similar real buckles. It is hard to tell, I recommend taking it to an expert.
I would guess there is a 70% chance that your buckle is real, if it is a fake it is very well done.
I don't like saying this, but i am pretty sure it is a reproduction. I am pretty sure the Confederates only had one solder filled oval buckle with arrow hooks, but I don't recall that it looked like that..
I will double check my books later today after my happy nap. Was out digging that pesky silver again this am. It will take awhile to see if there is a match there.
I will double check my books later today after my happy nap. Was out digging that pesky silver again this am. It will take awhile to see if there is a match there.