jrmazzeo
Full Member
- Joined
- Mar 16, 2012
- Messages
- 106
- Reaction score
- 307
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Central Mass
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Safari
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
This year has been OK, about 50 silver coins but nothing to write home about. Today I tried a town common that goes back to the early 1800s. Usually I don't have a lot of luck at town commons as they have been pounded pretty well here in New England. But in about 1.5 hours today I hit the jackpot.
The square has 4 triangular sections with a civil war monument in the center. I hunted one of the triangles for about 30 minutes and got nothing but clad on the surface.
I moved to another triangle and got a nice high tone. It was a 1919-S mercury dime, only about 4 inches and in nice shape.
About 10 feet away I got a high tone 36 that was reading about 6-8 inches. I was figuring it was a wheatie. After popping the plug and scooping out some dirt I saw that exciting flash of silver and a small coin I did not recognize. Turns out to be a 1828 (can read the 28, 18 not as well) Mexican 1/2 reale. Checked the hole with the pin pointer and still getting a good signal. Scooped out some dirt and out popped the 1785 1 reale. Amazing spill!
Final hole of the day was an 1853 seated dime with arrows at a shallow 3-4 inches. I was sure it was a memorial based on the numbers and depth. Goes to show you never know.
All 4 silver coins were on one of the triangular areas and I still have about half of it left to hunt as well as two other triangles. Had to leave for father's day lunch but can't wait to get back next weekend!
HH
The square has 4 triangular sections with a civil war monument in the center. I hunted one of the triangles for about 30 minutes and got nothing but clad on the surface.
I moved to another triangle and got a nice high tone. It was a 1919-S mercury dime, only about 4 inches and in nice shape.
About 10 feet away I got a high tone 36 that was reading about 6-8 inches. I was figuring it was a wheatie. After popping the plug and scooping out some dirt I saw that exciting flash of silver and a small coin I did not recognize. Turns out to be a 1828 (can read the 28, 18 not as well) Mexican 1/2 reale. Checked the hole with the pin pointer and still getting a good signal. Scooped out some dirt and out popped the 1785 1 reale. Amazing spill!
Final hole of the day was an 1853 seated dime with arrows at a shallow 3-4 inches. I was sure it was a memorial based on the numbers and depth. Goes to show you never know.
All 4 silver coins were on one of the triangular areas and I still have about half of it left to hunt as well as two other triangles. Had to leave for father's day lunch but can't wait to get back next weekend!
HH
Attachments
Upvote
58







