deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got done watching one of those Treasure Hunting programs on TV where they were scuba diving and picking up bones and teeth and other archeological items, putting them in a little bag, taking them to the surface to examine them....then taking them for their own collections. :icon_scratch:

I'm starting to think that maybe we are taking the wrong approach to metal detecting and all the laws they keep throwing at us.

Maybe WE need a reality TV show, broadcast on some cable channel, (not just the run-of-the-mill U-Tube videos) so everyone can take part in our enjoyment and experiences.

Seriously, there are so many reality shows about everything anymore....fishing, being "Little People", wearing clothes, buying houses, "Treasure Hunting" on a grander scale, cooking...how many cooking shows do we need? ???

What we need to do is get us a filming crew, someone go proposition some network executive and toss this idea to them...( just like Seinfeld's show about nothing)...get some seasoned detectorists to travel the country to these places where detecting is banned...and make a documentary there on metal detecting.

I kinda stole this idea from another thread on here...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,217900.0.html...

But ....hit these banned places somewhere later in the season, once the show catches on...and when we are denied permission, we can go on national TV and tell everyone..."Mayor so-and-so denied us permission to film a show in his town....

We could incorporate some of the "Dirty Job" skits into it.....climbing through the brush...or how about "Man Versus the Wild"...climbing to places where caches are hidden?

I think we could make a pretty good show about this.
At the same time, the public would gain a better opinion of us...and if we're filming our finds...we get to keep em, right?...Just like the show I watched on TV today where they kept their archeological finds. :thumbsup:

Dan has his Podcasts....maybe we need to take this a couple steps further...

Any enterprising folk out there wanna have some fun? You know it would be a great experience.

Al

deepskyal said:
At the same time, the public would gain a better opinion of us...and if we're filming our finds...we get to keep em, right?...Just like the show I watched on TV today where they kept their archeological finds. :thumbsup:

Just curious. Have you had any finds taken away from you by someone? I have kept everything I have ever found over 20 years of detecting.

BTW, I watched that show today too and it was very good. I like her shows and watch them every week.
Dan

Don't want to come off as Paranoid,

But Shipwreck hunters used to be able To Hunt shipwrecks at free will.

I'm sure. someone will correct me if I'm wrong,
but I Believe they Now have to have at least one Trained (Paid ?) archaeologist
on board ?

Not sure I would want to see that happen to detectorists.

Call me selfish but as much as I enjoy talking about metaldetecting with friends, family members and anyone else that will listen, I wouldn't want too see it become anymore popular then it is now. I envision people trampling all over hell and creation, digging big holes and leaving them unfilled, destroying, tresspassing and trashing up places making things worse then they are for us now.

As much as I would welcome a show like this I am afraid of the changes it would bring.

Paul

Yes I Hate to say it, But I Believe this is why We in Small Town Pennsylvania
Have it so much Better then Bigger areas where there are Large Clubs
or Many Detectorists already.

How many members here are afraid to use the words
"Treasure Hunter" Already ?

When asking for Permission.

I Use it all the time here.

Okay...rain on my parade.... :'( Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Too much time in the house making my brain mushy.

You are right....whether selfish or paranoid....I guess getting detecting out there on a grand scale would not necessarily be in our best interest.

Al

The kicker to the show is to add the cooking aspect to it. Show everyone what you can cook in the woods using sterno. LOL

Just kidding. I am afraid like the others that it would bring in a bunch of people who just care about what the find and not about leaving a place better than when they found it.

deepskyal said:
Okay...rain on my parade.... :'( Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Too much time in the house making my brain mushy.

You are right....whether selfish or paranoid....I guess getting detecting out there on a grand scale would not necessarily be in our best interest.

Al

Yep the Fact is I Love watcheng shows on Detecting & Treasure Hunting
& Would watch it Religously & Enjoy it.

But wonder if it would be a good idea.

I'll try to incorporate some MD'ing into my next season of "Idle American"

I didn't see the show , but I can't understand keeping parts of once living human beings as souvenirs. To study them is one thing, but then they should say some words over them and rebury them at sea. It's the Christian thing to do or the moral thing to do at least. I wouldn't want someone to dig up my grandfather and put his teeth on display, would you?

Monty said:
I didn't see the show , but I can't understand keeping parts of once living human beings as souvenirs. To study them is one thing, but then they should say some words over them and rebury them at sea. It's the Christian thing to do or the moral thing to do at least. I wouldn't want someone to dig up my grandfather and put his teeth on display, would you?

Monty,
They were not human remains. It was shark teeth, whale bones and the like.
NJ

JUST TRY AND KEEP THE RIGHT'S WE HAVE NOW. AND DO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DO. LEAVE THE LAND AS YOU FOUND IT.ALWAY'S BE NICE IF YOU GET PERMISSION TO HUNT OR NOT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back