What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Really cool old well

mjb Mike

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2021
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
3,299
Golden Thread
0
Location
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this cool old well while detecting the concrete around the edge looks newer then the brick well but any clue of the age of the brick well
 

Attachments

  • C1D78112-BC12-4FFB-AF4B-C9B341FF26B8.webp
    C1D78112-BC12-4FFB-AF4B-C9B341FF26B8.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 216
  • 48E254FB-8C9B-4BD4-8626-B62AF9D6042B.webp
    48E254FB-8C9B-4BD4-8626-B62AF9D6042B.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
It would be hard to say? Hand dug and reinforced later? Early 1900? Drop a magnet in and see what you find. Be careful, I almost fell into a well that was surrounded by a hedge while detecting in the 70's.
 
Upvote 3
Hard to tell how many dead critters are at the bottom of that well.

The bricks look to me to be the same vintage as the well. The concrete curbing was a later addition and probably held a platform to cover the well.
 
Upvote 2
Lower a camera on a string and video it
 
Upvote 1
Wow. Talk about a hazard. That needs a cover. A layer of bones at the bottom, no doubt.
 
Upvote 1
thanks for the info next time I go back im going to bring a magnet with me and see whats at the bottom ill let you no what i find.
 
Upvote 1
Wow. Talk about a hazard. That needs a cover. A layer of bones at the bottom, no doubt.
Only a hazard if you step into it.
Old wise man said:
"Watch where you step"
I've got lot of permissions with open wells, rather have then filled but never covered, as most use wood which then becomes a trap after the rot sets in.
 
Upvote 2
Only a hazard if you step into it.
Old wise man said:
"Watch where you step"
I've got lot of permissions with open wells, rather have then filled but never covered, as most use wood which then becomes a trap after the rot sets in.
I agree. Filled in would be best. I wonder how many "missing" hunters, mushroom pickers, metal detectorists, etc. spent their last days in a wet hole.

It is a cool find any way, and it should be a good area for detecting. A home was nearby.
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom