Rebecca Taggart, Phantom of the Caballos

stude

Nov 8, 2009
las cruces nm
I first visited the Taggart diggings over 20 yrs ago. They were just as described in the book "Phantom of the Caballo Mountains". I saw the horizontal shaft where they lived. It still had some furniture in it. The boxes of dirt were deeper in and my first impression was that they had to be growing mushrooms. They looked like bunk beds but were too small top to bottom. There are (were?) holes everywhere in the general vicinity. The last time I was there (2-3 yrs ago) someone was living in this shaft and claimed to be employed by the current owners. He was cordial but did not invite me to look around. If you look on maps you will see that this small plot on top of the Caballos is privately owned. This place is not hard to find. You can drive to the radio towers. After that it is definately 4x4. It is at the top of Burbank canyon which is coincidentally (?) above Tesoro del Alma diggings and several other claims. I have been told (not confirmed) that William White (treasure book writer) takes tourists to the Taggart diggings. There is (was) a route from the east side that went straight up the side and came out on top just above the diggings accessed from either the north or south east side of the Caballos.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes in the william white video you can see the radio towers, I am assumeing they are south of the Taggart diggings.

stude

Nov 8, 2009
las cruces nm
The towers are north of the Taggart diggings. The towers are on top of the ridge that runs north south. The diggings are south and below the ridge towards the west (lake) side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread