Received new Minelab SE yesterday

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
I just got my Minelab SE from the dealer yesterday. I'm excited to start working with it.. but have to wait till things thaw out a bit before getting serious with it. It's still below freezing every day.

I'm also a White's XLT owner.. so it's going to get some getting use to. I don't normally hunt with tone id like this.. so that will be the biggest hurdle. Also pinpointing is weird with the double d. I think I have it down though.

Any advice for a new owner for this machine? I understand your coil sweep needs to slow way down vs White's users. I think I tend to sweep fast.. and I need to break that habit any way. I will mainly focus on coin and relic hunting in normal to mineralized soil conditions. Deep target in my area is 6-7 inches.

Thanks!
DB

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have a feeling you are going to be pleasantly surprised at the depth you get with the explorer! i know i was! ;)

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
I'm very optimistic. I'm mostly concerned with target identification. I have to get use to the 'chatter'.. and understand exactly what it's telling me.

Thanks!
DB

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
DetectorBase said:
I'm very optimistic. I'm mostly concerned with target identification. I have to get use to the 'chatter'.. and understand exactly what it's telling me.

Thanks!
DB

ahhh yesss! im in the same boat myself! so far it hasnt been nearly as hard as i thought it would be. i cant pretend that i know everything the machine is telling me, but in three hunts with it i have found two silver dimes and four wheaties in some very hunted out spots! i have been really impressed with its depth and i havent even hunted outside of the factory settings yet! im a very very happy camper! ;)

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
That's super to hear. Definitely puts my mind at ease. I was definitely worried about things last night, when I couldn't pinpoint a coin I dropped on the floor. Today, was a new day.. and I feel much better. The DVD was on 'backorder' that was suppose to come with the unit. Am I missing anything by not watching that.. or should I just stay on my home tests and read the manual? Not sure when the DVD will be shipped.

DB

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
the dvd is usefull but not essential. try testing the machine outside. this machine doesn't like to be used indoors for some reason. mine wasn't real impressive in air tests either, but outside in the soil, it is killer. pinpointing with the DD coil will probably be a little different than what you are used to , but the manual explains it pretty well, and its not that hard to understand.

D

DigaLittle

My only suggestion.....

is to stay with it no matter how many time you want to wrap it around a tree. You WILL be rewarded for your patience! And it WILL take a while to learn it. Don't try to learn it in trash. Let the tones soak in first. After that, get a 5" coil and open up the descrimination and have a blast in the trash. You'll find things others have missed because you will be listening to ALL tones and digging the high ones. Theirs will have nulled or masked the target. Have fun and give it time. The Explorer is pretty much the best out there right now.

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Hello

Thanks for the suggestion! I just have to wait for the thaw. I tried to go out yesterday with hammer/chisel. I did find a memorial cent (which was my goal to at least find one coin with it yesterday). I'm starting to get the hang of it. I just really need to get some field time!

I will NEVER EVER buy a detector in the winter again.. heh.

DB

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Egads, anytime you can stay up late thinking of all the treasure you'll find while the snow flys is what it is about. When you start following UPS trucks around hoping today is the day they are going to deliever your detector is when you are almost over the edge. ;D

M

Maxs

You can find video's on "Exploring the Explorer" & "Explorer Advanced" on Youtube.com (free)
There are also some other good MD video's there.
Helps pass the time as your waiting for the thaw.
Good luck w/your new machine. I love mine.
Max

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Awesome! Watching now. Thanks for letting me know about these. If anyone wanted to see the movies.. here are the youtube links:

DB

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My excal acts weird inside, and it sees every nail and rebar in my floor, doesnt air-test very deep, but in the actual ground outside I have had to dig deep holes at times to get the coins it was seeing at the beach.

I use a BIG scoop and many times I am down over 9 inches in the sand before I recover the coin. You get use to the tones, I did. My old unit was the Beach Hunter ID and it had leds and tones.

OP
OP
DetectorBase

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the advice!

DB

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
You are simply going to love it. While you have all the extra time I would click here http://www.findmall.com/list.php?10 bookmark it and you will find hours upon hours of very informative reading. In addition there are some links to other minelab sites that you can checkout. Before you start getting used to the sounds I would start hunting in ferrous sounds. The coins sound about the same as they do in conduct sounds but there is no mistaking small iron targets which can sound almost like a coin a lot of times in conduct. The only drawback is that some bottlecaps and pulltabs sound a lot more like coins. its sort of a tradeoff but if you are seriously going after older coins it will payoff. Make sure you have good headphones they really help a lot when you are trying to pick out targets in trash and especially with the deeper targets,HH...Shoot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread