Recent find... Could be significant... Or not...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trez... Where was the one you saw for sale? Did it have the Nieva engraved on it like mine?

I know that one other medal almost exactly like mine (but larger and no name engraved on it) was found on the beach near the Cabin Wreck several years back... I remember seeing it in the book of recent finds at the McLarty Museum.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh... Yeah... I think I got it now... Take a photo... Thanks. Silly me... After 14 years of treasure hunting, you would think I would have known better huh? Sorry, I'm imperfect guys... Man, tough crowd...

Not tough..just observant... you stated earlier in this thread that you've made some of your best finds when Beach conditions were such that most people didn't figure it was worth trying.
Then .. You said because of conditions on this day that it was those same circumstances that lead you to belive finding an item that showed every characteristic of being silver,on a shipwreck beach would most likely be modern and not seem to meet a need for a photo before cleaning.
Just seemed strange.. especially after 14 years of experience.
I was just trying to be tactful and honest at the same time.
That photo really would have been great now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... That's unreal! I just saw the photo... I guess mine isn't such a unique find after all... That's disappointing...
thanks for bursting my bubble Trez... Man... Well it is at least still a period piece so I am not disappointed.

GatorBoy... What are you trying to say man? All I said was that in the past I have been lucky on days that one would not expect to find any colonial period material from the wrecks but I don't expect that to be the case every time I get out to hunt... And there are many modern pieces of jewelry that are silver so why is that contradictory? I just didn't expect it to be anything important... Unfortunately, like most religious medals, it is obviously more common than I thought... I am surprised that there is another one with the name engraved on it! I guess they were made that way and it wasn't an individual thing that someone did... No uh oh LM... Just disappointing.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not tough..just observant... you stated earlier in this thread that you've made some of your best finds when Beach conditions were such that most people didn't figure it was worth trying.
Then .. You said because of conditions on this day that it was those same circumstances that lead you to belive finding an item that showed every characteristic of being silver,on a shipwreck beach would most likely be modern and not seem to meet a need for a photo before cleaning.
Just seemed strange.. especially after 14 years of experience.
I was just trying to be tactful and honest at the same time.
That photo really would have been great now.

i have picked up many items that were not what i thought they were when i got home!! I used to do a lot of indian artifact hunting and I could never believe it when others questioned someone elses finds or integrity all because they didn't take an in situ pic or they seemed to make a lot of great finds!!!....... maybe that's where you get it from gatorboy? its very common on artifact forums, not common at all on detecting forums.... and its never cool!!!!!
its a very cool find, especially considering where it was found!!!!!!!!!!

chuck.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point taken.. I was only being honest ..Mabey a bit curt.

Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No uh oh LM... Just disappointing.

Definitely an 'uh oh' but since it all boils down to whether one chooses to be cynical or not, whether one chooses to be beneficial with doubt, I'll just say that I'm 'Switzerland' and leave it at that. For whatever its worth, everything Gatorboy said was spot on, especially given 'recent developments.'

You can get defensive or not. Your decision.
If its authentic, then its authentic. Given the lack of recovery documentation, its value as a shipwreck piece is to you. If authentic, what others think or say doesn't matter.

If its not authentic, then it's like cheating at solitaire. The world may never know (for certain), but thats not the point and unfortunately, given the lack of proper documentation in situ and the revelation that these are ebay fodder, the door opens wider for people to assume this scenario.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions