Recent find... Could be significant... Or not...

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For whatever its worth, I'd take finding that over finding a half-dozen run of the mill 8's, any day of the week.

Very intimate and personal piece, relating to an individual aboard that ship as opposed to 'valuable cargo'.

First time I've ever bothered, but I nominate this for the treasurenet banner.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks LM... I agree with you... I love coins and am more than happy when I find them... but for me, the rare, unique and personal artifacts and treasures are the most exciting and fascinating.

As for a banner vote, I appreciate that... I don't know if anyone else sees this find as "worthy" and that's ok... to me, it always feels like a banner moment anytime I am able to recover something of historical significance! That's what makes this endeavor worth it!

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's rare to see banner votes out of the shipwreck forum. I should have done so myself when I saw this piece. I just voted for it. Thanks, LM, for the nudge. And thanks for sharing, Phips.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... hey thanks guys...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find!! banner vote!:icon_thumleft:

chuck.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man... I didn't expect the banner votes guys but thanks for that!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Man... I didn't expect the banner votes guys but thanks for that!

I hope the banner-selectors appreciate it for what it is.

It would be like detecting in the backyard of Babe Ruths old house and finding a baseball shaped watch fob from the 1920s with his initials. A watch fob by itself isn't that big of a deal, but given the context, it becomes a big deal.

Likewise, an ordinary 18c silver religious medal may be a fine antique piece, but not much of a thrill... unless, of course, it's an 18th C religious medal from the 1715 fleet disaster.

That banner has some awfully nice stuff but aside from maybe the 1793 Large Cent, I'd take your 1715 fleet artifact over anything on there and its not even close.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe they don't put things like this on the banner because it is just SO awesome and amazing a find that they are trying to protect you from gubberment notice...lol.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...After much research, it is my understanding that it is a representation of "La Nuestra Señora de Las Nievas" and has "Nieva" inscribed on the back! Is this just a coincidence that this medallion with this inscription representing this personage be recovered in this location? What are your thoughts, anybody?

Santa María de las Nieves, Phips,

A very compelling find, sir! So after a little bit of research, I'm saying to myself, "Man, on the face of it, Ole Phips has made one helluva find! Will he seek out some experts?"

She was certainly often represented in rich garments, particularly on the colonial side of the water, with, or without the sceptre, and/or the Niño. She had seriously dramatic halos in several cases.

Well done, Phips!

DSC_0017.JPG nieves1.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they don't put things like this on the banner because it is just SO awesome and amazing a find that they are trying to protect you from gubberment notice...lol.

People have to actually vote for it. Just saying banner in the post is not a vote. You have to hit the report button and say banner. It is a very cool find with history. I have enjoyed reading it as he posted more and more.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phips,
Interesting piece, nice snag. Gonna start following you on your hunts. You always find the cool items. How corroded and encrusted was it...
How did it look before you cleaned it? did you photo it before cleaning? I am sure you knew it a medallion as soon you found it? and working a known treasure area that you surely began the process of before and after restoration shots, please say you did.
A medallion beach find is high on my list...way to go.
And Elle, isn't that a great web-site and aids in identification of items similar than those found from these wrecks here...
Thanks both for posting...and congrats.

Hey Trez... I always laugh when people joke about following me on my hunts... Admittedly I do have a few secret "sweet spots" that I go to on occasion (most local avid hunters have their spots), but for the most part, I hunt the same well known locations that everyone else hunts... As you know, it's timing, knowing and reading the beaches, weather, moon/tide phases, and a whole lot of praying to find something special when I do get out to hunt!

Finding this medal however was purely by chance as the area I found it in was not a spot that I hunt very much (thus less familiar to me than other areas that I constantly hit)... And the beach conditions were not such that I would have expected to find any Spanish Colonial goodies at that time... typically just modern junk.

As I mentioned previously, the medal was green over black patina with tiny shell bits stuck to it and had a small piece of encrustation on one side... Such that I did not immediately recognize it as a colonial religious medal. I usually do photograph most of my finds but in this case, I did not photograph it as I expected it to be a modern piece of jewelry and not a period piece from the wreck due to the beach conditions at the time. Also, I have not found many Spanish colonial religious medals in my hunting, so the shape was unfamiliar to me. I actually didn't realize what I had until I saw the engraved "Nieva" on the backside after leaving it to briefly clean in electrolysis. Like I said... Live and learn.

Surf... Thanks for those awesome images of "Santa Maria de las Nieves"... Very cool!

And once again, thanks to all for your input and comments...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't take this the wrong way.. I would say this to my best bud... metal detecting on a shipwreck beach.. get a good signal.. come up with an item that has green over black patina with some encrustation.... don't take photo documentation??!!!
Aaahhrr!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh... Yeah... I think I got it now... Take a photo... Thanks. Silly me... After 14 years of treasure hunting, you would think I would have known better huh? Sorry, I'm imperfect guys... Man, tough crowd...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phips,
you are in violation of article 1715 and all of your detecting privileges are indefinitely revoked and you must immediately send me the gps coordinates of all your favorite spots. when you demonstrate compliance by taking pics of all black, green, red and rust colored and conglomerate items your reinstatement will be considered.
thanks for your cooperation.

chuck.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get your wetsuit in a wad..I was only razzing... I remember when I had only been at it for 14 years. :-)

Will

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread