What's new

Recent florida finds

Martingeetars

Full Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
229
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this past weekend in local river, auriculatus, both from same site.
 

Attachments

  • logs and aric 001.webp
    logs and aric 001.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 662
  • logs and aric 005.webp
    logs and aric 005.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 659
  • logs and aric 004.webp
    logs and aric 004.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 653
  • logs and aric 002.webp
    logs and aric 002.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 661
Wow those are fantastic finds! Such pretty colors and they look just perfect :icon_thumright:. WTG!!!
 
Collectors think of these teeth out of the Ocala Group (Late Eocene) limestones as Carcharocles auriculatus. There is some doubt to that assignment.

Richard Hulbert (Ed.) in his THE FOSSIL VERTEBRATES OF FLORIDA (2001) sums up the situation with megatooth sharks. He points to research that says that the Florida holotype specimen labeled as Carcharodon auriculatus is actually another species, Carcharodon subauriculatus.

Depending on which authors you find most credible, C. subauriculatus is synonymous with C. angustidens or C. sokolowi. Hulbert favors Carcharodon sokolowi, following Case and Cappetta (1990). I am changing my specimen labels, though I think all these Carcharodon species (except for C. carcharias ) belong in the genus Carcharocles, Family Otodontidae.

If you accept the Hulbert-Case-Cappetta species name for Florida megatooth sharks, Carcharodon sokolowi, I believe that it is acceptably pronounced SO-KO-LAW-VAYE, recognizing a taxonomist named Sokolow or Sokolov.
 

Attachments

  • auriculatussynonomy.webp
    auriculatussynonomy.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 651
Interesting Harry. thanks for the info!
 
I found this recently and was wondering, now is this a lighting strike sand tube type thing or coral or something totally diffrent.It has what looks like a core that is darker in color that runs the length of the piece, any help would be much appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • lightingsand 001.webp
    lightingsand 001.webp
    99 KB · Views: 474
  • lightingsand 004.webp
    lightingsand 004.webp
    104.5 KB · Views: 476
  • lightingsand 005.webp
    lightingsand 005.webp
    88.8 KB · Views: 475
It looks to me to be something calcified :hello2:. Usually a shell of some type. I can't tell from the pics :dontknow: what it is, but I'd put my money on calcified ????? :thumbsup:
 
nice shark teeth. i am in venice, florida and found some shark teeth in gravel paving a parking lot today. If anyone has recommendations on a land or shallow river site for megs, let me know :) I am at the beach, but not planning to do any scuba unfortunately...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom