Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I seem to have a knack for never finding old coins I'd better start enjoying the other stuff. The dog tax tag was from tonight, but the rest is from the past couple of weeks. The button is CW era but can't identify from what exactly. It has asterisks and hearts on the back (see button forum) and the gun is a cap. Was in one piece til I tried to clean dirt off!

musket balls were from the same site as the button near a Stonewall camp. The tools were from an old farm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    771.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 1
That flat button is actually quite earlier. 1800-1830 in my opinion.

Youve got some nice stuff there.Coins are not the only treasures.

That flat button is actually quite earlier. 1800-1830 in my opinion.

Interesting....what makes you say that? Here is a closer view of the reverse. No distinguishing marks on the front.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 107
During the late 1700s and early 1800s there were tons of plain front gilted buttons that were imported to america. Many of them had backmarks like gilt,extra gilt,treble gilt,orange colour,etc. And were decorated with a simple design such as stars or asterisks. These were reused in the civil war and are found on many uniforms. that may explain why you found it on a civil war battlefield. They still made some flat buttons during the civil war period but the two piece button type was becoming more popular. Hope this helped you out :).

nice, yeah i couldnt find much info.... never thought a button would interest me haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back