What's new

Recent or ancient break?

Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
338
Reaction score
175
Golden Thread
0
Any idea if this was a recent or ancient break? It was found near a creek and never was plowed-no way to be broken by machinery. It's a nice blue color-I suspect a type of chert? Found in Illinois.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    593.2 KB · Views: 146
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    643.3 KB · Views: 140
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    564.6 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
Looks like old break, the patina of break is same as other parts.
 
I know that only the tip is present, but based on what remains, I would suspect it has parallel flaking. Also based on the thickness, would it predate the mississippian era which are usually known for thinner points. Here is another pic.
any ideas?-found in Illinois.
thanks
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    120.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    120.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    149.6 KB · Views: 95
In terms of the point itself, do the flaking patterns represnt woodland, archaic or missisippian technology? I get the fact that it depend on context, but I assume that there are some flaking patterns more common from one era over the others....
thoughts?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom