What's new

Recently found

sandchip

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2010
Messages
4,374
Reaction score
6,934
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a couple of hours the other day. So late in the day that I started not to go, but glad I did now. Also found a couple of bottles (in other section).

bigsandy.webp
 
Upvote 0
That is a beauty Sandchip. Looks to be early archaic, beveled blade, side notched, probably ground base? Is that a Bolen, or what would you call it there? Looks like a good grade of material too. Some of my favorite points were found in late day walks, just as it was getting too dark to see, made them memorable. HH
 
That's a great find! Looks like a classic Bolen bevel to me also.
 
With the straight base and squarish corners, it's probably a Big Sandy, but they were closely related to each other around here. The one on the right is more like what I'd call a Bolen, but the line does get blurry between the two sometimes.

bolens.webp
 
Last edited:
Niceun
Tuff call since there are about five different base configurations for the Bolen type.
It would be a Bolen down here in FL.

ForumRunner_20140927_155734.webp
 
Nicely made point.Nice!
 
Niceun
Tuff call since there are about five different base configurations for the Bolen type.
It would be a Bolen down here in FL.

Sir, that would be a Killer up here in GA.
 
Sir, that would be a Killer up here in GA.

Its a Bolen with the bevel on the sides of the blade like it is done.
Very nice point find sandchip. Yours is a killer
 
I have one I found but it isn't near as nice as your sandchip. Found it in the first month of 2014
 

Attachments

  • 100_4408.webp
    100_4408.webp
    116.8 KB · Views: 105
rock... Have you looked at Rowan points when it comes to that one?
That doesn't really look like a Bolen or Big Sandy to me anyway.
 
Nice old one !!!!
 
Its a Bolen with the bevel on the sides of the blade like it is done.
Very nice point find sandchip. Yours is a killer

The shape of the base and notch angle and positioning are really the identifying factors because Bolens, Big Sandies and Lost Lakes are all beveled 90% of the time. Rock, I'd say yours is a nearly exhausted Lost Lake resharpened into the notches, if it's beveled like it looks. Gator, has RR seen yours? It'd be interesting to hear how he typed it. The base is as classic Big Sandy as they come, but that's just my opinion. Exceptional point, either way.

Now, another Big Sandy, DAMMIT! :happysmiley: or Bolen...

bs.webpbs1.webp
 
I have one I found but it isn't near as nice as your sandchip. Found it in the first month of 2014

Nice point Rock, is the base on that one slightly smoothed or ground? It looks like it may have had some downward pointing barbs at one time, making it more corner notched originally? With the serrations, slightly convex expanding base with pointy ears, and the way it looks to have been diagonally re-sharpened, I would want to be calling it an Amos up my way. HH
 
The shape of the base and notch angle and positioning are really the identifying factors because Bolens, Big Sandies and Lost Lakes are all beveled 90% of the time. Rock, I'd say yours is a nearly exhausted Lost Lake resharpened into the notches, if it's beveled like it looks. Gator, has RR seen yours? It'd be interesting to hear how he typed it. The base is as classic Big Sandy as they come, but that's just my opinion. Exceptional point, either way.

Now, another Big Sandy, DAMMIT! :happysmiley: or Bolen...

View attachment 1059574View attachment 1059575

Man that is another beautiful point, I love the early archaic notched pieces, and how the types are often hybridized.
 
...I love the early archaic notched pieces, and how the types are often hybridized.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. It's not like they had an instruction manual on how to configure different types and many times, artistic license of the individual maker undoubtably had some bearing on how each final point looked. The maker also may have shaped the base slightly different from the norm in order to suit a particular need at that time. I'm as guilty as the next guy in getting carried away with typing when in this case, they are, as you said, just "early archaic notched" points.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom