What's new

Rechargable Batteries in my Excalibur II

ffordre4

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Whites Spectrum V3i, and Explorer SE Pro
I have heard that rechargable batteries cause you to lose depth, does anyone know if this is true I am a newby. Doesnt seem the company would sell something if it took away from there product.
 
I have used both type of batteries. I see no different when I am detecting....Matt
 
Get the NIMH rechargeable battery packs that are available on the internet. Do a web search for Excalibur rechargeable batteries and you will find a 10 cell 1.2 volt per cell NIMH battery pack that fits nicely in your alkaline battery pod.

The reason why the standard AA NIMH rechargeables are not good for the Excalibur is that those batteries are only 1.2 volts and not 1.5 as are the alkaline.

So doing the math, 8 x 1.2 = 9.6 volts. Just barely enough for the Excalibur to run right. As they lose voltage with use, the threshold of correct voltage is passed and the Excalibur will either run poorly or will shut down. The alkalines math is 8 x 1.5= 12 volts which is the correct voltage for the Excalibur.

The NIMH battery pack has 10 1.2 volt batteries. 10 x 1.2= 12 volts. More than enough to run the Excalibur. I get almost 40 hours per charge on each of my packs.
 
Get them from Canada or Germany

Charge with a RayOVac  Model PS3 Universal Charger

Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries 1.5 Volts  ( not 1.2 volts )

I got them on Ebay

Using them since Summer of 2006

Paid for themselves at least 20 times over if not more.

Charge doesn't drop off rapidly like nicad do....

 
 

Attachments

  • batteries.webp
    batteries.webp
    38 KB · Views: 173
  • batteries.webp
    batteries.webp
    38 KB · Views: 164
DP BOB said:
Get them from Canada or Germany

Charge with a RayOVac Modal PS3 Universal Charger

Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries 1.5 Volts ( not 1.2 volts )

I got them on Ebay

Using them since Summer of 2006

Paid for themselves at least 20 times over if not more.

Charge doesn't drop off rapidly like nicad do....
Hmmm...never saw those before. Looks like a good idea also!
 
I got a volt meter out the other day.
I tested the batteries - Rechargable (fully charged) only 1.3 volts / Disposable 1.5 volts
12 volts verses 10.4 volts
I don't think I'd risk it!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom