Recognize this map?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this map, appears to be possibly from the sixties. Does anyone know where it is from?...
tn_metal_detector.gif
Until a member(s) pipes in - you might consider posting your picture on MAPS for additional exposure...

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps google is your friend, many of those mines are already topics on this and many other forums.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved, "Today's Finds" forum is for actual finds made.

You are not very clear in what you are asking, are you asking if it is from a magazine or book or what since it has state and Grand Canyon national park listed on it?

Here us google link with map picture.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Thread moved, ..."

My apologies.

In my first post, I ask whether it's connected to Desert Magazine, and/or the writings of John T. Mitchell. Is that not clear?

"Here us google link with map picture..."

Not sure of the statement here (grammar, or typo?) but this is simply a picture of my map, through the seller's old listing for it. In other words: if you search for a picture, the only one that will show up is precisely my own copy. As you can see from that old listing, the seller had no further info. Which is why I don't either.

All of which is why I'd hoped to go deeper by asking on forums such as this. But I'm just being advised to google?

"us" is simply a typo...

I didnt search for an image, I searched the title of the map. It is most likely from this book with exact same title.

OP
OP
M

mibb

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2024
"us" is simply a typo...

I didnt search for an image, I searched the title of the map. It is most likely from this book with exact same title.

So, the mystery only deepens with this book. From the publisher, even their own information on writer John T. Mitchell was scant & wanting. The map itself is not a foldout, nor does it bear any indication of being promotional material from Rio Grande Press (& still, this would have been strange for when the book was published: first in the '30s, then reprinted in '70).

So it does not appear that this map has any connection to the book. And yet, there does seem to be some semblance between the map I have & the (very differently drawn) map in Mitchell's book. Mitchell was writing for Desert Magazine before he first published his book in 1933. Perhaps this map might have been based on his articles...even though I'm extremely skeptical that this map is from the '30s, so it may have been someone/something else much later, in the '60s or '70s, working off his articles or maybe his book. Anyway, this is what led me to wonder if someone here knows whether my map is actually connected somehow to Mitchell.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"us" is simply a typo...

I have that book and I have an internet archive membership - that map isn't in either version.

I can tell you what I know from looking at the OP's picture.
The map is printed on laid paper. Laid paper was the go to standard up until about 1880. After that time modern finished sulfite papers took over the market. Laid papers haven't been used for reading books since that time.

Laid papers were considered "old", and were barely used in printing except fancy envelopes and deckle edge card stock until the late 1950's. From the late 1950's until the late 1970's natural tone laid papers and inks came into style in promotional pieces like brochures, mailers and - placemats for restaurants. Laid papers have a thicker and softer "feel" than finished paper.

Check the size of the original. I'm guessing it's 11 X 17 inches. There is probably a watermark in the paper. Probably Nenah if it's more recent. Now look down in the lower corners and you will see the restaurant or chain name. If it's a small restaurant in a small town it will probably have the town name printed as well.

OP
OP
M

mibb

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2024
I have that book and I have an internet archive membership - that map isn't in either version.

I can tell you what I know from looking at the OP's picture.
The map is printed on laid paper. Laid paper was the go to standard up until about 1880. After that time modern finished sulfite papers took over the market. Laid papers haven't been used for reading books since that time.

Laid papers were considered "old", and were barely used in printing except fancy envelopes and deckle edge card stock until the late 1950's. From the late 1950's until the late 1970's natural tone laid papers and inks came into style in promotional pieces like brochures, mailers and - placemats for restaurants. Laid papers have a thicker and softer "feel" than finished paper.

Check the size of the original. I'm guessing it's 11 X 17 inches. There is probably a watermark in the paper. Probably Nenah if it's more recent. Now look down in the lower corners and you will see the restaurant or chain name. If it's a small restaurant in a small town it will probably have the town name printed as well.

Wow. This was extremely helpful.

You're spot on about the printing being on thicker tone laid paper; it's because of its quality that early on, my very first guess was that this map was a placemat from a restaurant.

It's a larger size, about 17 x 22, and there is in fact a watermark, in 3 places. Best as I can tell, it says something like "Wasau__ Laia" (or "gia" for those last 3 letters) ...something like this? But I can't find a restaurant or town name.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow. This was extremely helpful.

You're spot on about the printing being on thicker tone laid paper; it's because of its quality that early on, my very first guess was that this map was a placemat from a restaurant.

It's a larger size, about 17 x 22, and there is in fact a watermark, in 3 places. Best as I can tell, it says something like "Wasau__ Laia" (or "gia" for those last 3 letters) ...something like this? But I can't find a restaurant or town name.
The watermark is "Wausau Laid". Wausau was a large paper manufacturer but it faded over time and was sold to a Swedish toilet paper manufacturer about 10 years ago. It's probably been at least 15 years since Wausau produced laid papers but some paper products are still sold under the Wausau name.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this placemat before. I can't remember where that was but it was probably at least 30 years ago. Is there a printer or mapmaker name somewhere on the placemat? Is there an open area for an imprint? I'm guessing this was a generic placemat offered by restaurant supply in the 1970 - 1980 time period.

OP
OP
M

mibb

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2024
The watermark is "Wausau Laid". Wausau was a large paper manufacturer but it faded over time and was sold to a Swedish toilet paper manufacturer about 10 years ago. It's probably been at least 15 years since Wausau produced laid papers but some paper products are still sold under the Wausau name.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this placemat before. I can't remember where that was but it was probably at least 30 years ago. Is there a printer or mapmaker name somewhere on the placemat? Is there an open area for an imprint? I'm guessing this was a generic placemat offered by restaurant supply in the 1970 - 1980 time period.

Ah, "Laid" makes sense...I found info that Wausau was a paper manufacturer & thought maybe there was a cursive "L" for "Laid" but wasn't sure...but reflecting that this is about laid paper manufacturing, "Laid" is now so obvious. Thank you.

There is no printer or mapmaker name that I can find on it, or an imprint. No signature, no initials, etc. Additionally, it doesn't appear to mark anything other than major cities, treks, national parks, and then of course mines; so there's nothing like "you are here" or something else that seems like a restaurant location/name.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi mibb
Welocome to the "Show"!
Maybe this connection may help you?

"Map printed in green on laid paper. Light creasing and wear along edges. A watermark appears, perhaps indicating Waseau paper; the mark is distinguishable though difficult to read. An uncommon map, of unknown origin & date, covering Arizona and parts of California, Nevada, Utah and New Mexico, detailing the lost mines in each area. It's very possible this map was based on the maps & writings of John T. Mitchell in "Desert Magazine," in the 1930s & later in the '50s. His books on lost mines of the Southwest were reprinted in 1970 by Rio Grande Press, which may coincide with the printing of this map. Alternatively, inferring from the quality of laid paper used, it's also possible this map was a placemat published by a small restaurant chain, also during the 1960s or '70s. Its mystery adds to its allure as a well-illustrated document and a unique treasure. ; 21" - 17" tall. N° de ref. del artículo 024926"

Or this one?

Lost Mines.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions