Recommendation on cord replacement?

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Picked this bankers lamp up for $5 at a estate sale on Mother's Day. It's in great shape (other than the cord), very old and heavy (around 10lbs), I would say by the wiring 1920's maybe?
Looking for advice on the cord before listing. Leave it alone or replace. Cords shot, electrical tape everywhere and worn through in other places, I can replace it myself easily. General I leave things alone, but not to comfortable on this one. Thanks.

Any recommendations on pricing, it really nice?

Attachments

• DSCN2674.JPG
    DSCN2674.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN2675.JPG
    DSCN2675.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 286

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is okay, if not recommended to update the wiring on vintage/antique lamps.
That's a nice looking lamp. Are there any markings on it anywhere? The shade looks black? Correct? Underside white? Glass? The base is cast iron?

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
diggummup said:
That's a nice looking lamp. Are there any markings on it anywhere? The shade looks black? Correct? Underside white? Glass? The base is cast iron?
Thanks!
Not recommended??

Green shade, white underneath shade, yes glass-old. Shade has very nice bevels or grovels on front side (left and right), hard to see in pic, but really adds to the lamps appeal (I think). Underside has felt, but lamp is for sure cast (magnetic). Too me, it appears to be what most of the repo's/new "Banker lights" are based on.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice art deco bankers lamp, looks original from the pictures, and the extensive cord damage. Nice find. I think if I found this lamp I would leave it as is, with the option to replace the lamp cord at request of the buyer.

Are you doing an auction or BIN?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEANO said:
diggummup said:
Thanks!
Not recommended??

Green shade, white underneath shade, yes glass-old. Shade has very nice bevels or grovels on front side (left and right), hard to see in pic, but really adds to the lamps appeal (I think). Underside has felt, but lamp is for sure cast (magnetic). Too me, it appears to be what most of the repo's/new "Banker lights" are based on.

In other words it is usually preferred that the cord is changed but...

famous turtle treasures said:
I think if I found this lamp I would leave it as is, with the option to replace the lamp cord at request of the buyer.
That's an even better idea. I found this while looking around-

While this is necessary for functionality, you should be aware that once you replace the original wiring on the antique banker lamp it will lower the value.

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Thanks guys. I'm going to leave it alone and offer to replace it. I'm leaning towards "Auction" on this one. Debating if I should hold it and list over the fall/winter, when there may be more interest.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really go wrong waiting to post items until late October, early November. Last year was insane for me. I could barely keep up with all my sales, and I didn't have a single auction. I have been stocking up just for that reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread