red brass ????

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
yellow brass is yellow or gold in color and is usually cast or forged. Most gas and air fittings, door knobs, garden hose ends, candelabras, light bulb threads. they are usually shiny and smooth. first picture

red brass is darker in color and grainy. It is also called bronze. cheap ball valves, water regulators for sprinkler systems, garden hose spigots. second picture

I hope this helps
Rumblebelly

Attachments

• Brass%20Home%20Page.jpg
    Brass%20Home%20Page.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 751
  • Stk_Brz.gif
    Stk_Brz.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 6,384

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
Rumblebelly gave some excellent pics here to help about red and yellow brass. I need to get smart like he is and start posting some pictures myself on occasion. I'm going to disagree a little with him on the bronze part though based on what I've read myself. What follows is an excerpt from my book on scrap metals about Brass/Bronze Scrap:

Brass and bronze scrap are heavy metals with a brownish yellow to reddish yellow color to them. They are softer than steel but depending upon their composition can vary a lot in their hardness. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Yellow brass is about 35% zinc and 65% copper. When brass manufacturers let the zinc content to 20% or lower you get red brass. Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin with the tin being about 10% or lower in content. Now there are a lot of exceptions to the rule here on what the compositions of these metals can be. For example one type of bronze called Commercial Bronze contains 90% copper and 10% zinc with no tin. There are some yellow brasses that also contain 1 to 2% lead in their alloy composition.

Regards, Chris Hyder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread