What's new

Red Cross Relic Area NC

Frankn

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
8,779
Reaction score
2,989
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well I have never posted in the relic area, but I ran across this bit of info. that might help someone else. General Johnstons Confederate Army was camped at a small town in Randolph Co. called Red Cross when they heard that Johnston had surrendered to Sherman.
Under the terms of the surrender, the Confederate soldiers were to leave all of their equipment and arms at the campground and return to their homes.
The campground can be reached by going 12 miles southeast of Greensboro, on highway 49A. The campground lies due west of the highway at Red Cross.
Good luck and hope it is not gov. land by now. Frank
 
My girlfriend and I own a bunch of land right there less then half mile away from new salem on providence church road I actually just started metal detecting it yesterday found a bullet thats been shot but looks newer and I found a old style axe not sure how old I was only out there for an hour trying to get use to this new detector but ill be letting y'all know if I find something good
 
Matt and I have been detecting around the area and haven't found anything as of yet.
 
Hey everyone I just joined the site. I live about 20 mins from the area. Would love to get involved in the search!!
 
Did you ever get to hunt this property? I would love to know who owns it now. I'm just a stones throw away, may e half a mile. I find 3 ringers and buttons on my property, hoping for more.
The location is in fact at the bethel church on new salem rd. I was able to speak to the land owner. He confirmed all the stories. He's also agreed to let me hunt this area this fall.
D love to k ow who owns this now
 
found a few bullets.. thats about it. shoot me a message... i need a hunting partner lol
 
It’s awesome to see that this thread has been revived. I honestly registered for this forum back in 2019 just to monitor this thread from time to time! I’ve known of the Red Cross encampment for some time. If I’m not mistaken… some where in the general vicinity of the county is where a soldier or two were hit by lightning during a nasty storm.

I’m just down the road in Archdale…. Unfortunately I’m from VA and do all of my detecting in either central VA or SC so I don’t have any permissions in the area. I’ve studied the area for years though and have a fair idea of where the old wagon roads and river crossings were. I’m always fantasizing about what sort of goodies lay just beneath the surface when I ride out 62 and Groometown.

I just haven’t grown a pair and started door knocking 😂. All of my friends live in neighborhoods so no easy permissions there.
 
It’s awesome to see that this thread has been revived. I honestly registered for this forum back in 2019 just to monitor this thread from time to time! I’ve known of the Red Cross encampment for some time. If I’m not mistaken… some where in the general vicinity of the county is where a soldier or two were hit by lightning during a nasty storm.

I’m just down the road in Archdale…. Unfortunately I’m from VA and do all of my detecting in either central VA or SC so I don’t have any permissions in the area. I’ve studied the area for years though and have a fair idea of where the old wagon roads and river crossings were. I’m always fantasizing about what sort of goodies lay just beneath the surface when I ride out 62 and Groometown.

I just haven’t grown a pair and started door knocking 😂. All of my friends live in neighborhoods so no easy permissions there.
yes sir, ive actually been kinda taking care of the monument where the soldier you referencing was struck by lightning.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LSX
yes sir, ive actually been kinda taking care of the monument where the soldier you referencing was struck by lightning.
That’s phenomenal! Glad to see confirmation of entries I come across while browsing letters and accounts from that era.
 
That’s phenomenal! Glad to see confirmation of entries I come across while browsing letters and accounts from that era.
20210912_095055.webp
 
  • Like
Reactions: LSX
I'm in Durham County, NC and would absolutely be interested in pursuing this site for detecting if there is anyone out there still monitoring this thread (Looks like its been 9 months or so since anyone has posted in it). Let me know!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom