Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I've learned to pick things out of iron a bit better with the Etrac, I'm starting to hit sites that I've hit before to pick up my leftovers. This particular site was a farm at least in 1930's and I suspect well before then. I've been to this place maybe 20 times with first the AT Pro and now the Etrac. I've found some interesting things including an early 1900's V nickel, trade stimulator tokens, and some others. The last several times I've been there have been pretty much a bust.

Despite a lack of rain, it was way too nice not go out, so I hit the place for an hour. In the first 15 minutes I hit a 1944 wheat I'd missed followed by a 19XX wheat I have soaking. Then I picked up the business end to the smallest toy pistol I've ever seen.
Pistol.jpg

Curiosity peaked, I next found a Model T valve stem cover (that I forgot to photograph).

Finally, I hit a penny signal wedged in a pile of iron. Barely a blip but was consistent so I pulled it up. When it came out, it looked like it might be a toy coin but came out looking mostly silver (though a bit coated with gunk). When I got it home, I could barely make out the words "TORIA DEI GRATIA REGIN" across the top of the obverse with a left facing bust. Checking online, I'm pretty sure I ended up finding a Canadian 5 Cent Victoria (1858-1901). SAWEEET!!! The complete legend on the coin is VICTORIA DEI GRATIA REGINA. Victorian age silver...

Update: I think it's a dime. The diameter is about 18mm.
Update 2: The edge is reeded.

If I'm right about the Canadian coin it's .925 Silver. The thing is really really worn which isn't too suprising as I pulled it out under the dirt/gravel driveway to the old house. The reverse side shows a crown with leaves around the outside as well as some edging on the outer edge of the coin (though the outside edge of the coin is flat).

Any suggestions on how to clean it? It's roached enough where I doubt it would be worth professionally cleaning, but the reverse seems to have a coating of something stuck to it.

Obverse Regina.jpg
Reverse - Regina.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little baking soda and water between your fingers will do wonders.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coins man!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw your title I thought you found silver IN Regina lol, I'm not too far from there.

Yep, that's a Vicky fish scale, a very nice little silver find. It would be worth cleaning a bit, but some of the dates are worth a lot more than a few bucks so be careful.

Cool little silver man

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct , It does appear to be a Canadian Silver of Queen Victoria - I can't see from the pic whether it's a five or a ten cent , but
If it's smaller than a dime it's a five (also known as a fish scale or "fishy" ) Very nice find ! even though it's quite worn.
(I'm crazy for these and any Victoria Silvers actually )

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THERE FOURMAN ....

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a canadian 5 cents i just found one in a corn field mine is 1881 i will be posting pics tonight

OP
OP
F

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think based on the diameter it's a 10 Cent piece. Other than the periphery of the reverse, everything is worn off. I can kind of make out a "C" for Cents but there's no way there's a date on it. On the bright side, odds are it's a 1800's coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread