Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is true. It happens all the time. Welcome to misinformation central.

And as for your James Beverly Ward being in Richmond with black Thomas J. Beale because both were in the Confederate Army, read, Peter Viemeister's red book, page 163 paragraph 5.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And as for your James Beverly Ward being in Richmond with black Thomas J. Beale because both were in the Confederate Army, read, Peter Viemeister's red book, page 163 paragraph 5.

Who said he was "black?" The narration only describes him as being dark and swarthy....thought you are right, he could just as easily have been black. And Viemeister knew something about TJB that the author didn't? :laughing7:

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1885 book review article appeared in the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN and was written by James William Sherman (yes, there were two), the 1893 "human interest " treasure story (James B Wade) was in the ROANOKE TIMES, with information provided by Sherman's wife, Anne Marie Helbig Sherman, was responsible for the ROANOKE TIMES article.

Actually there were three, one in 1885 April 10, 1885 April 15 and One in 1893. Looking for more!

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let me guess, he was not in the Army?

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who said he was "black?" The narration only describes him as being dark and swarthy....thought you are right, he could just as easily have been black. And Viemeister knew something about TJB that the author didn't? :laughing7:

He just had a good tan?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
James Beverly Ward was in Richmond creating a mileage table between cites in the newly formed Confederate States for Ritchie & Dunnavant company in 1861.
Ward became a member of the Richmond Mason Dove Lodge #51 in 1862, the "2nd year of the Confederate War".
While Ward's Hutter cousins and Otey in laws served in the Confederacy, Ward did not.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me guess, he was not in the Army?

Well he was given the title of Major after the Civil War. But he was mostly homeguard. Gathering produce and such for the Confederate Army and getting it to the rail-head for shipment. But he stayed in Campbell County. Never venturing to Richmond at least I have never seen in records saying he did go to Richmond. James Beverly Ward had a lame leg that kept him out of the Confederate Army.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James Beverly Ward was in Richmond creating a mileage table between cites in the newly formed Confederate States for Ritchie & Dunnavant company in 1861.
Ward became a member of the Richmond Mason Dove Lodge #51 in 1862, the "2nd year of the Confederate War".
While Ward's Hutter cousins and Otey in laws served in the Confederacy, Ward did not.

Ward could not even pay his dues. That Richmond Mason Dove Lodge #51 most likely had a branch office in Lynchburg. No way would he have traveled for meetings in Richmond. I do not know why we are having this discussion about a TJB in 1880's when the treasure was buried in 1819 and 1821. Don't make any provenance sense.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...you have never seen records saying that he did not go to Richmond either.

If you had a mother, a wife and eight kids and a plantation or two to take care of, I do not think you would be running off to Richmond anytime soon.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless, of course, he had "urgent business" that he had to attend during the "2nd year of the Confederate War".

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
In taking to an Beale Papers expert I have found out that the first two book review newspaper articles were in 1885 April in the Lynchburg Paper.

ECS is just confused about the three articles!

Yet we have a newspaper article now in 1893 talking about all the people looking for this lost gold and silver. Amazing how this point of interest has been moved eight years forward with an update on the ciphers and the hunters of gold.

I now will see if I can find the next newspaper article that make reference to the Below Papers.

Poe,

The two book reiview articles in the Lynchburg Virginian on April 10 and April 15, 1885 are transcribed and sources are provided on Page 24 of Ron Gervais' angelfire web site.

Niether of these articles match the article you posted. Do you have, or can you run down, the source of your article? The newspaper it was published in and the date it was published. How did this article reach your eyes? :laughing7:

That information will help me round out the (4) newspaper stories in my mind.

Thanks, Garry

Last edited:

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poe,

The two book reiview articles in the Lynchburg Virginian on April 10 and April 15, 1885 are transcribed and sources are provided on Page 24 of Ron Gervais' angelfire web site.

Niether of these articles match the article you posted. Do you have, or can you run down, the source of your article? The newspaper it was published in and the date it was published. How did this article reach your eyes? :laughing7:

That information will help me round out the (4) newspaper stories in my mind.

Thanks, Garry

Fist post of this thread under the newspaper article.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Can we ask why in 1893 there was a book review eight years after a pamphlet had stopped printing? Can we ask for verification of the date of this smaller article supposed from 1886?
FACT: NO mention of the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet/"JOB PRINT" in the SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG: A Story As Told In 1887; I have it & found NOTHING!

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Poe,

The first post is Jeff's article. I'm looking for the source of the article you posted in #23? :icon_scratch:

Garry

The Lynchburg Daily News1885 April adout the same time as the other two in the Lynchburg Virginian.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FACT: NO mention of the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet/"JOB PRINT" in the SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG: A Story As Told In 1887; I have it & found NOTHING!

Do you have the book or you are just using Google? There is more information in the book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread