Relaxing morning at a park - and then a Walking Half appeared!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Yesterday I detected some farm fields and frankly didn't find anything despite locating one old homesite (broken glass, oyster shells, brick, etc.). The only interesting relic was a suspender clip.
So, after a quiet day yesterday I decided this morning to hit a local park to just hear the Equinox hit some nice coin signals. This park is from the 1960's so while I was hoping for a silver I was more realistically expecting all modern coins.
I found plenty of those modern coins - around 40 of them in about 90 minutes, and only 3 pieces of trash that tricked me.
But toward the end of the hunt the Nox screamed out 33-35 and I said out loud, "show me a silver quarter!" Well fortune did me one better and produced a 1944 Walking Liberty half dollar!

I scanned the area around where I found it and didn't get any good signals, and since I needed to get to work on my day job I packed up and headed home at about 8:45.

Honestly that coin shouldn't have been there - but I'm not complaining! And I plan to head back soon, maybe there's more!

- Brian

IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0392.JPG

Upvote 32
Hi everyone. Yesterday I detected some farm fields and frankly didn't find anything despite locating one old homesite (broken glass, oyster shells, brick, etc.). The only interesting relic was a suspender clip.
So, after a quiet day yesterday I decided this morning to hit a local park to just hear the Equinox hit some nice coin signals. This park is from the 1960's so while I was hoping for a silver I was more realistically expecting all modern coins.
I found plenty of those modern coins - around 40 of them in about 90 minutes, and only 3 pieces of trash that tricked me.
But toward the end of the hunt the Nox screamed out 33-35 and I said out loud, "show me a silver quarter!" Well fortune did me one better and produced a 1944 Walking Liberty half dollar!

I scanned the area around where I found it and didn't get any good signals, and since I needed to get to work on my day job I packed up and headed home at about 8:45.

Honestly that coin shouldn't have been there - but I'm not complaining! And I plan to head back soon, maybe there's more!

- Brian

View attachment 1988695View attachment 1988698
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

So you have a nice relaxing hunt, find the silver, which gets your adrenaline pumping , and then , have to go to work. I’m guessing you had a hard time concentrating on your job. 😂 Nice score. Congratulations!

Some of the best recoveries are when you least expect them-making for a many moons memory.
Congrats on the beautiful half Brian.

Congrats on a great find. Kids will sometime snag some of dad's or grandpa's coins and lose them. Found three wheats right together in a new tot lot.

Nice job on that big silver Brian. It's always nice to see a Walking Liberty Half. Bet your day at work went quickly because of your adrenalin !

- Brian

Awesome Half!

- Brian

gorgeous recovery there, wtg

Great finds! Congratulations on the silver WL half! Thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back