Relic VS Artifact

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I met with an archaeologist for 45 minutes, and we talked about metal detecting and what he does. Wasn't violent or anything, we agreed on stuff. I learned a few things from him, and one of those things is, never call an item a "Relic" to an archaeologist. He said he knows its stupid, but they don't like the term, they want them to be called "Artifacts".

So just a little tip for you all.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I refuse to split hairs and play the "name game" with an Archie or any other power-obsessed entity. This is how they cloud and confuse issues to push matters into their favor. They only like things to be called artifacts because that is the wordage they use in their legal documents, if it's called an artifact, it falls under the wordage of the law and gives them full control over what you have found. Please don't play the Politically Correct game with these jerks. ::)

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eric Willoughby said:
I refuse to split hairs and play the "name game" with an Archie or any other power-obsessed entity. This is how they cloud and confuse issues to push matters into their favor. They only like things to be called artifacts because that is the wordage they use in their legal documents, if it's called an artifact, it falls under the wordage of the law and gives them full control over what you have found. Please don't play the Politically Correct game with these jerks. ::)
:thumbsup:

Though all may not be jerks, one thing is for sure-they are all bureaucrats and I cant stand bureaucracy!!

Palmetto

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
True, you have to be careful on how you word things in legal matters. Example: Never use the words "pre-columbian" nor have any reading or printed material containing those words, when traveling through customs with some old pottery, even if you bought it in a shop. They can charge you IF there is a hint of having a pre-columbian object with you. I have a couple friends that had this problem. It cost them a lot in legal fees to prove the objects were post pre-columbian...
Richard Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread