DSCI0024.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 481

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is a great find. Hopefully you can find some more items there. There will probably be too much metal to use a detector, but it might be worth a shot. Great job..

OP
OP
W

Warbirder

May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's on a WW II bombing range in FL. I have a map of all 153 ranges, if you're interested in searching.

OP
OP
W

Warbirder

May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Jody - Mines and bombs are no problem. Get everyone to walk single file. Make sure you are last in line.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warbirder, if you could get even ONE of those landing gears out, the scrap value of the aluminum alloy would be pretty great.
Or, were those made of steel back then?
If the landing gear are restoreable, that might be a money maker, too. I think there are only a half a dozen B-17s still flying.

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
Shortstack said:
Warbirder, if you could get even ONE of those landing gears out, the scrap value of the aluminum alloy would be pretty great.
If the landing gear are restoreable, that might be a money maker, too. I think there are only a half a dozen B-17s still flying.
Are you kidding? The FLYING FORTRESS would not have been made of aluminum!
Updated statement July 13th., 2009.
Is aluminum bullet proof? It seems pratical for lightweightness.
It just didn't seem to me it would ever be used as fortress material. Nickel is bulletproof but heavy.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorroque said:
Shortstack said:
Are you kidding? The FLYING FORTRESS would not have been made of aluminum!

Perhaps you should try rereading my post. I said the LANDING GEAR ASSEMBLY. Aluminum alloys are a lot stronger than steel while being a lot LIGHTER in weight. Now the question I raised was if the low cost method of refining aluminum was discovered by then, the landing gear assemblies this man found would be valuable for scrap or even as rebuildable replacement parts for the small number of B-17s that are still flying.

I just checked aluminum smelting and found that the economical methods for smelting this metal was discovered in the late 1880s. Therefore, YES, FLYING FORTRESSES WERE MADE OF ALUMINUM. Aluminum ALLOYS to be exact. Before this time, processed aluminum was worth more than gold, ounce for ounce.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...I don't know what you guys have been hearing, but they were made out of aluminum....In fact, one of the most famous B-17's was called the Aluminum Overcast....They had plexiglass all over them as well.....

OP
OP
W

Warbirder

May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a picture of a B-17 landing gear. What appears to be dual wheels is not so. This is one wheel but you can't see all the magnesium that burned away. That's the white ash. The two drums shared a common tire.
The guy is my friend and fellow searcher, Dennis Coley.

Attachments

• DSCI0023.JPG
    DSCI0023.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 404

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread