pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever invited their State Representative to a club meeting? If so did they take you up on such an offer?

I am thinking of doing such a thing along with asking for their help with overturning a law.

What things have you stated that were effective in your letters to your representatives? I am looking for tips to help me out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sounds like an idea, but I think you will merely be "competing" on the basis of size and clout (ie.: comparative #'s/strength/voice) with preservationist allies, archies, etc..... And as such, our mottley little clubs have no comparison.

As a docent at a few historical associations/museums, I go to a lot of functions (call them "club meetings" if you like) for the historical spots I docent at. Like seminars, speaking engagements, etc.... And they are attended by the academia city/state/archie types, who are absolutely "In the pockets" of the political system. I mean, go figure that cities, counties, and states have "cultural arts" commissions "historical preservation" commissions, staff archies, etc..... and all of those could be said to represent the "preservation" (read "leave it alone") side of the equation. There is simply nothing to compare, as far as "lobbying power" to anything that a metal detecting club meeting can muster up. I mean, sure, they might say "that's nice", but when compared to the organized lobbying insider mentality of those who counter us, our mottley club meetings would do nothing.

And sure, maybe all you want is to keep the "innocuous" places open (beaches, non-historic monument type places, etc...) But in their mind's eye, to start down that route of "this place open, but this place not, is just one more monitoring oversight headache that they won't want. Much easier just to say "no to all", unfortunately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread