🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research, Legwork, and Detectin'...

Hello all!

Today was one of those legwork days. I had done a bunch of research. Now after all the work I teamed up with my buddy Rodes to go and find property owners and ask permission to hunt. (In rural areas, this task is much harder than it seems!!!) First I headed off to a place that appeared on an old map as a small community--including a post office. I was aware that there was little there now, but when I arrived on the site I was astonished! Population = 0. Number of structures remaining = 2; a small shack and a barn amid a great expanse of fields:

field.jpg
barn.jpg

Here's my Camry with the detectors and gear parked in the middle of nowhere...

camry.jpg

I even had to cross two creeks in the car. The second one was deeper. Go Camry, Go!

creek.jpg

Got permission to hunt the shack. Also got permission to hunt the fields. I think I have accurately pinpointed the location of at least one other house site, a school, and the post office judging from the geographic features of the area. Wrote down the GPS coordinates of these after much sleuthing and walking around there. Although we didn't have much luck around the shack, I will certainly return to hunt the other sites on the property.

house1.jpg

Picked up some nice fossils from the fields, as well as an Indian artifact or two:

Ended up the day with a quest to locate some one-room schoolhouse sites. Found one, but the property owner wasn't in. The second one along our way I strongly felt was on the same lot as a modern church, judging from the old maps. The first look at the site was discouraging--dirt had been pushed around everywhere to build the church. Plus, newer graves from the cemetery now existed on all of one side of the site AND the parking lot was PAVED!! We decided to try a smaller area right by the church where it looked like the soil had not been disturbed. We attacked any and every undisturbed patch we could get at, and we started digging wheats immediately--always a good sign.

rings1.jpg

My buddy Rodes got a set of 3 silver rings still held together by an aluminum strip. I wonder if this was lost before a wedding ceremony?! Any ideas? They are sterling, not white gold.

rings2.jpg
button.jpg

We also found several small metal buttons--typical finds for an old schoolhouse:

quarter.jpg

Then I dug up a personal first--a whole pocketwatch! (I've only found fobs, chains, front or back plates, or pieces of them before). I also nabbed a silver Washington Quarter:

n.a.relic.jpg

Every once in a while, I have to step back and marvel at the interesting places this hobby can take us and the interesting people we meet along the way. Such a valuable day in terms of practicality...there gets to be a point where you've done all the research you can do beforehand, and you just have to get your feet on the site to learn more. Great scenery. Excellent company. And the best part is that we got a few keepers too.

Regards,

Buckleboy
Lifetime Member of the K.D.M.

Attachments

• yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,298
Upvote 0
Re: Research, Legwork, and Detectin'...

Really nice scenery and detecting pics! These kind of pictures add a more "feeling" to those finds what you have dug up!

Keep those good finds and stories coming!

Been digging through the old posts, love to see the different ways folks research old spots.

Thanks for another awesome post, buckleyboy. :icon_sunny:

It's lots of hard work to find the great sites. You tell a great story. :icon_study:

Way to go on the research and recon. I don't mind walking and looking from the old maps. Several times I have shown up at potential sites and found that they were just bulldozing and fencing the areas off for development >:( Every once in a while the research and recon pays off. It sure is beautiful at those areas where the fields were. Were there any roads that lead off to the hills around that town site? What about a pond or two? Any area of rocks that might have been buildings or wells? Sometomes people in a developed area would go up on a hill and have a picnic. I would check out those leads. What a great story, and some silver also!!

Awesome finds! At least you guys got silver out of the hunt! It pays to do research!!! :thumbsup:

LOL This post is over a year old...but thank you all for your kind replies.

:thumbsup:

BuckleBoy said:
LOL This post is over a year old...but thank you all for your kind replies.

:thumbsup:

OMG.....I hate that when that happens!! :tard: .......but Buckles, it was a good thread...It still is a good thread! :icon_queen:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back