What's new

Respect for Nickel Searchers

cuttybce

Full Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
202
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western PA
After focusing almost solely on dimes, I decided to mix it up a little bit and get a box of nickels. Definitely a whole new animal....I have nothing but respect for anyone who can consistently search mass quantities of them, one at a time. Seems like you certainly earn whatever you find with nickels, and without the ability to search edges, I did appreciate the additional challenge. On a positive note, I did find a war nickel ('45-S).

Also, I'm curious as to how our resident nickel hunters handle them...after one box, my hands became very dirty.

hh, cuttybce
 
Upvote 0
NIckels are dirty. But pennies make my hands dirtier than nickels do.

I just wash them when I am done. :-)

As for searching, on nickels I pour them out of the roll and then look for the dingy ones. I search those, but the shiny ones I pas by, as they are not going to be pre 1960. I might miss one or two, but it is not like the silver in dimes or quarters. Heck, it's the same composition. So it'snot like i"m losing much if I miss one. But I search a lot more nickels in the same period by date searching only the ones that look a little old.
 
I search about 6-8 boxes of nickels per week. Yep, I got to wash the hands a great deal--but no big deal. If I find 1 war nickel I consider the box fair; 2 equal good; and 3 equals great. I have only found 4 WN's in one box. Several buffs along the way--both dated and non-dated.

A few weeks back I found 6 V-nickels in one box. You just never know in this business!

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
jrf30 said:
As for searching, on nickels I pour them out of the roll and then look for the dingy ones. I search those, but the shiny ones I pas by, as they are not going to be pre 1960.....

I've found quite a few '09 nickels. IMHO don't pass up the shiny ones to quickly.
 
I search nickels but whats the deal with 09 nickels?? I just keep all pre 1960's.
 
Thanks for the respect ;D

However once I find my 39D I will be semi-retired from nickels lol.
 
thurmownator said:
jrf30 said:
As for searching, on nickels I pour them out of the roll and then look for the dingy ones. I search those, but the shiny ones I pas by, as they are not going to be pre 1960.....

I've found quite a few '09 nickels. IMHO don't pass up the shiny ones to quickly.

I wear thin non-latex gloves, (as I'm allergic to latex) when Coin Roll Hunting
 
DrDetector said:
Thanks for the respect ;D

However once I find my 39D I will be semi-retired from nickels lol.

Same with me. But I have a few more than that to go.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom